Sd. Kfz. 222
"This is a SdKfZ 222, a heavy armored car that serves hit and run purposes."— Official game quote
This is the German reconnaissance vehicle, a lightly armored and fast four wheeled car. This little baby wanders in from the sidelines, stops and brutalizes your defense for a few seconds, then drives off the screen (if you haven't destroyed it). Slightly like a vehicle version of the Brandenburger, although this unit will not attempt to bypass your lines, instead leaving by the same method it entered, through the side. This vehicle is extremely accurate, and will kill units located in bunkers and the open with equal ease. Sometimes they may come early in the game. In later waves, if not taken care of quickly, they can single-handedly take out a squad.
The MG-42/20mm gunner can be shot off of the vehicle, rendering it powerless. Also, when you blow it up, four dead men appear in the wreckage.
- After the gunner is shot off, your units will continue to fire at the vehicle. You will actually hear members of the crew yelling in pain, even though they will not die.
How do I kill it?
- Bazooka rounds and higher will destroy it.
- Grenades, rifle grenades and heavy fire can neutralize the vehicle.
- A Fifty can easily shoot off the gunner before it has a chance to fire.
- A good Soldier armed with a bar can cause havoc to the vehicle.
Used by the reconnaissance battalions (Aufklärungs-Abteilung) of the Panzer divisions, the type performed well enough in countries with good road networks, like those in Western Europe. However, on the Eastern Front and North Africa, this class of vehicle was hampered by its relatively poor off-road performance. In those theaters, it gradually found itself replaced in the reconnaissance role by the Sdkfz 250 half-track. The Sdkfz 250/9 was the Sdkfz 250 with the same turret as the Sdfkz 222.
The Sdkfz 222 was examined by Soviet designers before they created the similar BA-64 light armoured car.