Artillery is powerful support fire option capable of causing heavy devastation. It's downside is low accuracy depending from the accuracy of the map used by the firebase. This is why covering the AO and updating the coordinates through the radio are important to allow more precise fire without requiring to call for adjustment. It is suggested to maintain distance from the target if the first round is still very imprecise to prevent friendly fire.
When utilizing the radio, there are multiple options to use:
- Relay coordinates. This sends information about the AO to the firebase allowing increased accuracy when firing. The increase is directly related to the amount of AO covered.
- Call for fire. Artillery fires towards the current target allowing precise adjustments to be made. Accuracy is determined by the latest relayed coordinates.
- Adjust 10 meters to direction X. This moves the fire towards the designated direction in case the original fire missed the intended target.
- Fire for effect. Clears the artillery to open fire at the designated target location. Preferably to be used once the target has been homed in utilizing the other radio options.
- Airbust rounds. Change the actual ammunition to airbust rounds, which have a high fragmentation range but lower damage.
- Smoke rounds. Change the actual ammunition to smoke rounds, smoke rounds don't cause damage directly but create a smoke screen useful for evasive maneuvers such as retreating. This rounds will not make a Huey land or attract a Cobra´s attention.
- HE rounds. Change the actual ammunition to HE rounds, with a powerful blast effect. This is the standard ammunition type used.
Primary use for artillery is destroying VC assets and dealing with large concentrations of infantry.