The 2.2.3 series in general introduced a mound of features and had its own promo video:
<youtube v="XMQK8cyLqZE" />
These are its features:
- Player MG unit will switch target more often and experience will affect that particularity as well
- NEW Field HQ (vulnerable TP producing construction)
- NEW Booby traps (mine and TNT tweak)
- NEW Sabotage (Send your frenchies behind the enemy line)
- NEW Mechanics (Repair your damaged trucks)
- NEW Counter Arty
- Pak38 is not just a silent beauty anymore.
- Spec icons facelift for officers, frenchies, sigs and mortar
- NEW All around defense order
- Morale now affecting your troops (no more meatshields)
- NEW Morale boost order
- Hand to hand speed improved
- NEW Rifle grenades
- SS changed uniforms
- NEW BrandenBurg infiltrators
- Some sound changes
- NEW 6 ribbons
- NEW 50 cal stationary unit
- New props when frenchies are dying :)
So, apart from all the new stuff, a couple of very important changes stand out in terms of how they would forever make life more difficult for the player: soldiers could flee from the battlefield, and the dreaded pak38's, who used to be too slow to fire at all, became, well, dreaded.
Version r was the last and most stable of the series, having itself immortalized into download form (which lacked any frame around it; you can close it by pressing ESC).
The now familiar black and white image of the soldiers seen in the official forums was also first used in this patch.