The MG 42 was the primary German machine gun of WWII. It is called the "Hitler's Buzz Saw" by Allied troops, it is so effective that the American M-60 machine gun was based on it. It's rate of fire, between 1,200 and 1,500 rounds per minute, gave it its distinctive sound and is among the highest of any gun ever made. Later models actually reduced the rate of fire to conserve ammo and reduce the wear on the gun. Very deadly in good hands and will pin down your troops for a pretty long time.
Who Uses This?
- MG-42 Gunner
- Sd. Kfz. 251
- Tiger Tank turret gunner
- Bike's sidecar man (when he jumps out of the car)
- It was called "Hitler's buzz saw" by the allied soldiers because when it shot it sounded like tearing cloth.
- This weapon was so deadly, that US soldiers were trained to learn its signature sound.
- An expert on the MG-42 could replace its barrel in about 2 seconds and allied troops were trained to take out the gun positions in those 2 seconds, after that you'd dash for cover because all hell was going to break loose.
- A barrel change was suggested to happen after around 150 rounds were discharged.
- The German tactical book said that 2 rifle men would provide covering fire FOR the MG-42. In most other countries, it was the other way around.