The Bunker is the ultimate protection against all forms of attacks. It can still be destroyed by a dead on attack from large explosives (Bazooka rounds and up), but it is quite the building. Sticking meatshields inside of one is a good idea.
The area immediately around the bunker is a dead zone for troops because explosive weaponry will hit this area if it does not hit dead on (for example, an AT gun round).
But beware, commanders should know that bunkers render most troops partially ineffective (extreme fire-rate lowering), with the exception of gunners. The following units and weapons are rendered almost completely or completely ineffective:
Semi-confirmed: After recent testing, thanks to SuckyJack, it is now known that the zone of protection for the bunker extends around it as well. For the full post and exploit relating to it, click here. Please note that this will probably be solved in the next patch.
It has been known that the Bunker may create a Trench instead despite showing the Bunker overlay before placement regardless of use of hotkeys or mouseclick.
- The Bunker offers the most tactical Buffs of all available structures. It is one of the most common structures in the game as it is often used in nearly every strategy for its ability to easily withstand grenade and mortar fire.
- One of the most popular tactics, for example, uses a gunner for the bonus to firing rate and a French resistance soldier in front to soak up any incoming bullets.
- If one tries fire a zook inside a bunker, it is most possible that the operators will get fried to a crisp due to the trapped exhaust flames. This problem is retained by the M72 LAW so Recoilless rocket weapons has a design criteria of exhaust fumes' volume.
- Bunkers are NOT widely used in WWII because the war is mostly mobile warfare. And building a bunker while you are supposed to move around is even more unreasonable because if you fail, the effort will be lost to the Germans.
- Your bunkers are, well, cracked. Perhaps that's the reason making them suffer even from puny zook rounds.