War Movies

Activity Forums General Forum War Movies

This topic contains 31 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Arise 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

scorch
    Participant

Does anybody recommend any good War movies that’s worth a watch? Some war movies I’d recommend would be:

My Way 2011 (I’d say it’s on par with Saving Private Ryan)

Letters from Iwo Jima

Enemy at the Gates

Hacksaw Ridge

Pearl Harbour

Downfall

Operation Valkyrie

Days of Glory

Generation War

Some TV shows I’d recommend would be:

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Anne Frank: The Whole Story

Hitler: The Rise of Evil

Some films about the crimes of the Nazis:

Schindlers List

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas

The Pianist

Pitts
    Participant

Great list, here’s a few that aren’t on there that I personally love

-Apocalypse Now
    -Full Metal Jacket
    -Saving Private Ryan
    -Black Hawk Down
    -Platoon
    -Hamburger Hill

Anomie
    Participant

Generation Kill is a great miniseries about the First Marine Recon Battalion’s assault in the initial stage of the Iraq war.

Arise
    Participant

I think this three also can be good.

*We Were Soldiers, a little bit like Recon back ground.
    *Fury, a WW2 Sherman tank story.
    *The Hurt Locker, a EOD team story.

TheLoneWolf
    Participant

You guys forgot Platoon! You wouldn’t think Charlie Sheen would do well in a dramatic war story about Vietnam but it was good.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

Saving Pvt. Ryan is a stale, as is the BoB mini-series.
    And albeit technically a comedy, I really like Forrest Gump and its depiction of Vietnam.

However my guilty pleasure is The Patriot. It is absolutely horrible when it comes to historical accuracy, but as a cinematic piece it’s really good.

Otherwise, I suggest The Last Samurai, and Master and Commander

I’m actually on the search for a movie or mini-series that does Roman battles right, but most are only slightly accurate and follow all the horrible movie tropes that plague the Roman history movies (anachronistic equipment, bad staging, or things that just didn’t exist)

The Big Red One and The Thin Red Line are pretty good, since we already covered the most well known ones.

Edit: Easy to get them confused, but they are indeed separate films lol

Mexican Batman
    Participant

Last of the Mohicans is one that makes me think a lot of Last Winter and vice versa .

Tyrud

It’s pretty crazy because I was thinking earlier today if there were some really accurate/good war films that I had yet to see and clearly you guys read my mind somehow, haha. We’ve definitely run down the staple list of movies related to all the wars urb games and it’s inspirations cover.

On the topic of LW, The Revenant is a pretty great movie and very LW-inspired in style for those trying to get their inner woodsman on.

World War II in Color is a pretty good documentary series and covers some aspects of the war that aren’t always covered or mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjTgMbkZcbM

There was one on National Geographic titled Hitler’s Last Year is very good too, I think (Didn’t get to see all of it)

Overall, does any one know of any other awesome/informative documentaries, perhaps describing some lesser discussed areas of the war?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Tyrud.

Snarks
    Participant

I found Jeremey Clarkson’s documentary on The Raid of St. Nazaire to be a good watch.

urbzz
    Keymaster

Revenant is an awesome LW movie 🙂 could be a good scenario that you get buried alive and then have to survive to exert revenge.

Reid

I’ve watched a lot of war movies in my day and I’m glad to see that others have got the popular ones covered. Here are two made-for-tv movies I think are worth a watch:

When Trumpets Fade (1998)

“A private in the latter days of WWII on the German front struggles between his will to survive and what his superiors perceive as a battlefield instinct.” (Sorry about the subtitles. At least you can learn Spanish while you watch!) Not the greatest piece of cinema, but it is certainly still worth a watch just for the harmony of the opening and ending scenes.

The Lost Battalion (2001)

“Fact-based war drama about an American battalion of over 500 men which gets trapped behind enemy lines in the Argonne Forest in October 1918 France during the closing weeks of World War I.” This is one of the best films for me. The way the Germans condescendingly yet fearfully describe the American unit as a bunch of ‘New York gangsters’ is just so great. Look up what happened to the real life Major Whittlesey after the war when you get the chance. It really adds to the weight of the movie.

Another World War I movie, Passchendaele (2008), is rather good as well:

“The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend and a naive boy intersect first in Alberta and then in Belgium during the bloody World War I battle of Passchendaele.” A cool film that highlights the Canadian contribution to the war.

Finally, the only Korean war film I’ve seen thats actually about Koreans instead of Americans is Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (2004):

“A drama about the fate of brothers forced to fight in the Korean War.” Its one of my favorites because although I speak zero Korean, the English subtitles still got me wrapped up in the story. And the action isn’t bad either.

scorch
    Participant

@Maharbal Barca Have you watched films such as Centurion, The Eagle, Ben Hur (the modern one) and Risen?

Have you also watched TV series like Spartacus blood and Sand and HBOs Rome series?

Some other great films I’d mention would be Kingdom of Heaven with Orlando bloom in it, a good film about the Crusades.

Some tv series I’d recommend would be The Tudors, The Borgias, Spartacus Blood, History channels Vikings series and Sand and HBOs Rome. All should be attractive to someone who loves history! I’m not fond of Black Sails myself though.

Nguyen Hai Nam
    Participant

I guess nobody watched Stalingrad 1993. Great German movie. You should watch it. It is way better than Enemy at the Gate.

Nicholas Andersen
    Participant

Never saw any actual war movie aside from Black Hawk Down, but I did see some Argentinian comedy movie that happened in the military…but I don´t think it counts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar