Skip to toolbar

The Moral System, and my thoughts on 0.24 changes.

Activity Forums Mud and Blood 3 The Moral System, and my thoughts on 0.24 changes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Polarfuchs
    Participant

Polarfuchs is back with another guide! (number 5!)
    Disclaimer: This guide is going off of patch notes given by urb for the soon to be MnB3 0.24, if anything changes, then this will still be viable (probably).

First thing’s first, what is moral?
    Moral is the will to fight of a soldier, this affects how easily he is pinned, and how well he fights.
    Moral is determined by a number of things, including, whether or not the squad is being pinned, if somebody just exploded (your guys will decrease, enemies that explode don’t seem to have an effect), and a number of other things.

How to keep moral high:
    To keep moral high you need to plan a careful advance, never allowing more than 1 or 2 men to be pinned, and then having them panic run away with their olive drab uniforms turning brown. To do this move up one or two men at a time, always keeping the majority of squad firepower available. Moral is like health, it is easily reduced, and takes a long time to recover (as in real life).

Why does my moral drop so quickly????:
    Your soldiers’ moral drops so quickly due to the fact that it’s war. Most action FPS games (CoD, Battlefield, etc…) don’t really show the true effects of moral on soldiers, unless it’s a D-day scene, it’s pretty hard to screw up a D-day scene. WW2 was the most brutal war in human history, with over 40 million deaths of combatants and noncombatants combined. Then think about being a 18 year old recruit, on the front line, with no prior experience with real engagements. The average age of a U.S. Soldier in the army was between 17 and 19 years old. Most german soldiers were over 20, had prior experience from the Weserubung, Fall Gelb, and Barbarossa operations (about 5 years total in some cases), and generally had high standards of equipment and an amazing commander. So in summary your teen-aged soldiers are facing battle hardened Germans that are older, more experienced, and more used to the whole “war” thing going on.

0.24 Updates:
    In the patch notes urb notes urb states, “Panicked soldiers that are pinned will only run away of not pinned already”. I’m assuming that of is supposed to be *in*. Using my super amazing detective skills this means that a panicked soldier won’t just get get up and run while still being pinned, which would be welcome in some cases and a brutal death in others. Overall I feel this adds more depth to the moral system along with the next patch note described by urb. The second patch note reads, “A soldier panic time is now related to his rank. A Sgt will panic for way less time than a no hook private,”. This is another very welcome feature, and also makes sense. Why would an experienced soldier run away just as easily as a new untested recruit? This also adds way more depth to the moral system and both of these seem to be steps to giving the germans their own hidden moral values so they will run away as easily.

This is a bit of a short one but I needed to get back on schedule and get to the vehicles guide.

Best of Wishes,
    Polarfuchs

urbzz
    Keymaster

Thanks for this review of the new features of the morale system Polarfuchs.

Now that you mention it, let’s clear few things about how the Germans deal with the issue. The Axis handles morale differently since finer tactical decision has to be taken by the individual soldier not only based on his will to stay alive but also as at the tactical level as a part of the entire team.

The German troops have an extra variable called momentum. If the fight is going their way they will push the enemy, if the fight is going against them they will back off and regroup or change their approaches. Their next step is usually roughly based on Rommel’s infantry book and the German infantry doctrine of ww2 (both publication available in our download section) Spiced with a random factor in order to keep the enemy agile and unpredictable. It also make the enemy do some mistakes with are humanizing the AI.

So, when it is time to act the Axis soldier knows exactly what to do, (push ahead, cover friends, use special weaponry, rejig cover) and this is based on momentum. Now if the Axis soldier does what he should do is based on his morale. (its one thing to know what should be done. It’s another to have the balls to step out of your trench and take a hike into incoming fire.)

Since 0.24 a soldier will take a look around and see what his friends (experience) are doing and will try to fill the tactical gap (momentum) or maybe take a lil while just to make sure every thing makes sense (morale)

As you see the reaction of the enemy soldier is a mix of few things which adds depth to the enemy ai instead of a single variable. It makes the enemy less foreseeable scenarios and often creates very fun yet hurtful situation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.