Stealth Movement

Activity Forums Recon Tactics and Strategies Stealth Movement

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jack 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Flight Nurse
    Participant

So I’ve been playing recon for about a year now and recently started playing again. But recently I started thinking of ways that my rangers can move tactically and effectively. My question is how should they be spaced? Should they be in a certain formation? Do i move one at a time, all at once, or somewhere in between? How do you guys move your rangers when covert?

Polarfuchs
    Participant

There’s a few ways I move my rangers around in the game, with multiple formations for covert and overt movement.

Covert 1: Line Formation
    In a line with about the width of 5 rangers spacing, this increases amount of land covered if the line is moving perpendicular to its layout. It also means that footprints will be easier to cover. Recommended for high coverage of AO missions. In this formation any number of rangers may move at once, but moving all is recommended.

Covert 2: Cover Hopping
    Moving groups of two rangers closely grouped from tree to tree, avoiding known enemy assets. This is best used for missions such as Breach and Wire Tap where keeping tabs on all the rangers is highly important. In this formation one team of two rangers moves, while the other covers. Recommended for situations where stealth may be broken.

Covert 3: Box Formation
    Moving in a box formation with about 2 rangers spacing between them, this is useful for keeping the team together and forming a defensive circle, although explosives will do significant damage. In this formation all rangers move at once. Recommended for conservative tactics.

For when the above formations don’t keep you Covert.

Overt 1: Combat Line
    The ranger team forms a line with two groups of two rangers. The spacing between the groups is 4 ranger widths, while the spacing between individual rangers in the group is 1 ranger width. This is the combat version of the line formation and only one ranger should be moved at a time, with his partner moving next. Alternating group movement will keep the team together.

Overt 2: Run and Gun
    The rangers form a “flying V” or Echelon formation and move down a line of enemy resistance, stopping when required to engage enemy soldiers. The group moves at one, with 1 ranger width of vertical space and 2 ranger widths of horizontal space between them. This is an alternative to the combat line for more aggressive tactics.

Overt 3: Combat Box / Perimeter Defence
    The same as the box formation, but with more space between rangers to guard against explosives. Recommended for LZ defense and Fire-base defense. Can also be used in a fire and movement scenario but is less effective than the Combat Line.

Overt 4: Sniper Team (Advanced)
    A high combat ranger with a long range weapon such as an M14, M40, or SVD, along with a second ranger for close defense, usually equipped with a shotgun or M3. A second team with a spotter moves in front of the sniper team with a spacing of 7 or 8 ranger widths. This tactic is recommended for missions where Agent Orange is active and long range weapons are viable.

I know I went a bit beyond what you asked but I hope this helps you in the future!
    Good luck in the Jungle!
    Best of Luck,
    Polarfuchs

Flight Nurse
    Participant

Much appreciated! Helps a lot!

Lance

Nice reply Polarfuchs.
    Short answer by myself.
    Move each Ranger separately but also closely to each other and very slowly to have the highest possible all around spotting results.
    Stay in the open for maximum spotting range and use LOS blockers (big trees and such *see wiki) to outmaneuver enemies.
    Drawback; very long games. Stay Stealthy!

Jack
    Participant

Solid writeup!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar