Statecraft suggestions and ideas.

Activity Forums Statecraft Statecraft suggestions and ideas.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tyrud 1 day, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lance

Welcome to the newest game creation that will soon become an open for all game.
    Here all kinds of suggestions and ideas that may get implemented shall be posted.
    For those that are active on the Discord Statecraft Channel.
    Please re-post ideas from there to here so that they do not get lost down the line.
    Thank you.

So let me start with something.
    Global Event: The old pope died and thereby all his degrees have become nil.
    You (player) get set to 40 Church% by the new pope since he does not enforce old grudges nor positive trusts.
    Also all other global church events cease like a holy crusade or a holy war against you or another kingdom.

Bersimon
    Participant

This looks like a sweet game full of bitter decisions. >:D

I recently bought Reigns for my Android phone, a game that has a similar base playing method and has gained a certain accolade.

Anyway, from the gameplay video I’ve seen, I have come up with a few ideas.

I would suggest altering the labels (and possibly the icons) on the Yes/No buttons in the cases when the text is not prompting a decision, but is rather relating some consummated fact, in which case the buttons would be to express approval / disapproval of the fact, or sometimes merely proceed with the dialogue.

I think that the time inbetween solicitors leaving and entering could be shortened.

Every minor cycle (let’s say, a week), your advisor could start the day by prompting if you will hold open court today to hear the general populace:

– NO = Increases your authority score and favor with the elite, at the cost of your popularity; on the throne room, there are only the guards, servants and your seneschal; courtesans have an opportunity to approach you for a private word regarding matters too delicate for a public hearing.
    – YES = Increases popularity score and helps to smooth out rebelious sentiments, at the cost of decreasing your conceit with the elite; the throne room is filled mostly with people of the working and merchant classes, who have the opportunity to bring smaller matters and gossip to your attention; it is also an opportunity for notables, such as clergymen, knights and masters who wish to pledge their service to you (and be publicly honored or shamed) or wish to forward their cause to you (gaining your public support or indifference) to do so.

Whatever the case, messengers or people currently in your service may appear with an urgent matter. If one does, after you answer it, your seneschal will prompt if you’ll want to call an emergency council:

– NO = Keep with your current program for the day.
    – YES = Everybody is summarily dismissed and your counselors are called for, wherever they may be (provided they are not on a distant errand), which will have the immediate effect of generating a certain resentment with everyone, while also increasing your central authority. However, this move has the benefit of allowing you to immediately make necessary adjustments to your realm across the board (see council mechanic below).

Towards the end of every major cycle (say, a month), your advisor prompts if you’ll call a general council:

– NO = Signals trust and leeway to your counselors, but diminishes your central authority; your underlings spend the day productively conducting their activities.
    – YES = Increases your central authority and allows you access to the council mechanic; however, this impacts productivity as any activity or errand your counselors were performing gets delayed and, if they have no great friendship for you, they are likely to also feel as if you are pulling their leashes. The council then proceeds as follows:

— Every single advisor speaks in turn to inform you on his/her specific activities and general status of the sector he/she oversees, giving you opportunity to signal approval or disapproval of every pertinent matter; depending on the case, you may even be given a renewed choice of actions or brought to decide upon new suggestions.
    — If the counselors notice you give disproportionate approvals or disapprovals to one individual or to a group of individuals united by the same sphere of interest (e.g. military, religious, romantic), this may become a source of resentment; thus, you may either see yourself pressured to give someone an undue scolding or praise in an effort to not display any favoritism, or you may make use of this to purposefully heighten someone before their peers.
    — After the council has ended, a counselor or two may use the oppotunity to approach you for a quiet word after everyone else is gone.

At times, someone might suggest that you travel someplace: to honor an orphanage / guild / noble’s household with your visit, or to make a public procession through the streets of the capital for the citizens to see their king, an act that has to be judged wisely: if your popularity is good, the population will cheer you up and be inspired to make spontaneous offerings and pledges of eternal devotion; but if you are too popular, this might sour and ostracize the elite; if your popularity is low, this might help you regain their hearts; too low, and there is the danger of an orchestrated revolt and assassination attempt. You also have the choice to throw away money at the crowd as a magnanimous (and costly) gesture.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Bersimon.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Bersimon.

Tyrud

Good suggestions all around! I especially think the council mechanic will be of interest to urb for his game as it has just the right amount of complexity with good meshing with existing mechanics.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar