Squad Composition Tips and Strategy(Hedgerows,St. Lo, Vire, Mortain)

Activity Forums Mud and Blood 3 Strategies Squad Composition Tips and Strategy(Hedgerows,St. Lo, Vire, Mortain)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steely 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SkadiG10
    Participant

Hello everyone, although i am a veteran of Mud and Blood(2,Recon) i just signed up here! i am playing now for some time MnB 3 and currently i am in Mortain and 6 days ahead. I thought it would be useful to share some intel with u.

1. Squad compmosition:

My current experience showed me that there are 3 units that are MUST HAVE in my opinion:
    -Scout:it is good to see how many germans are ahead and spot quickly MG’s because they can decimate your GI’s, useful for targeting long range arty strikes and act as a spotter for the Sniper.

-Signaller:He brings real firepower with arty strikes and can clear up defensive positions ahead you(88’s, MG nests, entrenched Germans), counter a german counter-attack and of course reinforcemnets,exp(sitreps) and upgrades through crates.

-Medic:The guy who keeps your squad alive no more things to say here

The other positions are open generally to fill them as u like, but i have some recommendations to present

-Rifleman(High Priority): Even with his M1 Garand is a lethal unit against infantry(also high combat skill) and with his grenades act as a light artillery(good for unspotted snipers too)

-Machine Gunner(High Priority): Very useful for both defensive and offensive situations because he can provide a good base of fire and he is much needed against German counter-attacks.Also can use mortars for log range hits

-Sniper(Lower Priority): Very good for taking out MGs, enemy snipers and infantry but lacks fire-rate which is needed against masses of infantry

-Officer(Lower Priority): He can add combat bonus and moral to your troops boosting their effectiveness, also he can bring up an M3 Stuart Light tank to help u dealing with Germans. Lacks firepower at first but he gets the job once he get a Thompson

-Engineer(Low Priority): His bazooka is excellent for taking out vehicles and long range hits but lacks firepower and u can use arty strikes to deal with tanks

-Commando(Low Priority): Clearly offensive unit, he takes BAR too so it is a good replacement for MGunner, along with his high combat skill,speed,stealth and CQC skills can make a good rush for critical situations(adds frenchies too!!)

2. Strategy
    Your scout can see further so it is good idea to call arty strikes ahead of u and search for good defensive positions(trenches,bunkers,sandbags). Once u have found them advance slowly from one def position to another. Dont hesitate to retreat: throw smokes,frags and arty strike if u have one and retreat to the previous def position. Cover your advances with rocket-grenades and the MG. Dont rush!

3. Tips
    -My medic,scout,officer get the first 2 weapon upgrades first to bolster my fire
    -Signaller gets as fast as u can the Arty Strike
    -Use maps from the crates to make signaller and MGunner faster moving
    -Recon ahead with the Scout and another guy so they can deal with unexpected problems
    -When a halftrack appears retreat and expect to call arty strike to your previous location when it stops
    -When u have recon flights and u see masses of infantry in a position arty them!!
    -NEVER do a full-squad charge!!!you are not in the Red Army
    -Your officer is a prioritized target for enemy snipers…even if enemy snipers are not detected u can a see a white smoke coming out of their weapons…arty them or use grenades!
    -In MORTAIN use 2 Riflemen…u need the firepower and their grenades
    -ALL units have firepower when they are fully upgraded…it is more difficult at the start so again…DONT RUSH
    -Commandos are better in areas with low visibility(St. Lo) and houses…so he can move freely

**I dont say that units with low priority are useless…depends on the situation, i just post my opinion

Thank u for reading!!!

• This topic was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by  SkadiG10.

Lance

Welcome to the Forums.
    That is an excellent post. Mortain +6 is surely one tough cookie. Good work.
    Personally I mix my team together not caring much for the unit type but of course it is about impossible to win a field with Officer or Medic early on or other poor shooters.

Got to agree that a Scout is currently the nr1 unit upgrade if solely to spot the enemy first.
    First to spot is first kill. Simply equation. Only enemy snipers can naturally see further.
    Then all you do is upgrade his rank and he fills the sniper roll just as good as a high grade Marksman.
    Other then this unit only the Signaller has an almost OP maxed status. At least as long as you are willing to play only arty rules for possibly hours till all enemies are dead.

Keep it up and URB On!

SkadiG10
    Participant

i lost 4 days in Mortain…i am now 2 days ahead of schedule

– i lost 2 days because of many MG’s which were placed at the start of the battlefield…it is bad when 2 or 3 MG’s are placed near and can cover each other

-the other 2 days i managed to build up an experienced squad but…i spent lots of time advancing slowly and taking out german counterattack. so when i almost reached near the end both of times Germans were throwing at me MANY troops…i must have a killed a whole regiment but my guys were killed…

So i devised today a Quick-Attack strategy so the germans won’t be able to reinforce the AO with many troops…i used this composition: Scout – Sign – Medic – Commando(x2) – Rifleman

I managed to take out the MG’s with quick rushes of the Commandos and the Scout and advance quickly…had a problem with snipers but quick advance and luck was enough to get near and kill them…but a Tiger tank appeared and my sign had no air strike or arty strike…i pulled back and by passed the tiger and then Germans reinforced the AO ffor 2nd time… rushed my squad forward…2 GIs reached the final line and saved the day…of course a Halt for me…i was unlucky with the Tiger otherwise i think i could have pulled this smoothly…although this squad lacked a bit firepower against lots of infantry

Steely
    Participant

Have been playing around with troop composition on the outskirts of St. Lo. Although there are a lot of obstacles, it seems long range units tend to win out. Every time I deployed, my squad would start taking hits almost out of the gate by troops I couldn’t see. Thus, I came up with the follow squad implemented in the following order:

1. Scout/Sniper
    2. Scout (if sniper was chosen)/Sniper (if scout was chosen)
    3.Radio man
    4.Rifleman
    5.Spec Ops
    6. Medic (if you are lucky enough to not get injured by the time you have all the rest of your troops upgraded. Insert medic into any above position is shit hits the fan.)

The reason for going in this order is because the weapons given to the soldier after upgrade can either help or hinder the performance. The Sniper keeps the m1903 which is a solid long range weapon (which has the advantage in several situations) while increasing his rifle skill. The Scout gets a shotgun (which as for now is a solid medium range weapon) but his ability to spot units is invaluable (at least in the outskirts of St. Lo. The Radio man keeps his 1903 which I would recommend he do so until the end of his development. The rifleman gets a less optimal M2, so although it will he will be good in the long run, it is terrible to start him off because he just won’t have the fire power. The spec ops is of lower priority but useful, consider him a more nimble MG once you level him up.

This line up was solid enough for me. Although not perfect, it helped me survive the early stage. By the time I got them leveled up, it was a fuckin’ breeze.

Hope it helps and stay strong.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Steely.

Steely
    Participant

Have been playing around with troop composition on the outskirts of St. Lo. Although there are a lot of obstacles, it seems long range units tend to do some damage. Every time I deployed, my squad would start taking hits almost out of the gate by troops I couldn’t see. Thus, I came up with the follow squad implemented in the following order:

1. Scout/Sniper
    2. Scout (if sniper was chosen)/Sniper (if scout was chosen)
    3.Radio man
    4.Rifleman
    5.Spec Ops
    6. Medic (if you are lucky enough to not get injured by the time you have all the rest of your troops upgraded. Insert medic into any above position is shit hits the fan.)

The reason for going in this order is because the weapons given to the soldier after upgrade can either help or hinder the performance. The Sniper keeps the m1903 which is a solid long range weapon (which has the advantage in several situations) while increasing his rifle skill. The Scout gets a shotgun (which as for now is a solid medium range weapon) but his ability to spot units is invaluable (at least in the outskirts of St. Lo. The Radio man keeps his 1903 which I would recommend he do so until the end of his development. The rifleman gets a less optimal M2, so although it will he will be good in the long run, it is terrible to start him off because he just won’t have the fire power. The spec ops is of lower priority but useful, consider him a more nimble MG once you level him up.

This line up was solid enough for me. Although not perfect, it helped me survive the early stage. By the time I got them leveled up, it was a fuckin’ breeze.

Hope it helps and stay strong.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar