Sleeping Bear Tavern

Activity Forums General Forum Sleeping Bear Tavern

Tagged: 

• This topic has 502 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Lance.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)
  • Author
    Maharbal Barca
    Participant

I still refer to the original Bear as “The Beast”

But yea, the bear is sort of its own monster, and there really are no rules when it comes to what’s “allowed” aside from obvious spam and excessive vulgarity. At least traditionally that’s what it’s been about. To give you some insight, the original bear over on urbanprophet.com (I believed it was called the “Slumbering Ursus” there, and I think even that one was a reiteration…) had over ~1000 pages. Not posts, pages.

The Bear at it’s heart is supposed to be nonsensical and fun; not too serious, but not altogether chaotic (no “forum games” As far as RP goes, do so if you wish, but don’t feel pressured if you don’t want to either.

Now, regarding the “lore” of the Sleeping Bear, it usually took on a life of the main game in the Urb franchise or the website that hosted it: the original MnB.net had the “Mess Hall” where we roleplayed as various WWII soldiers in Normand. The original urb.com bear saw mostly coureur des bois taking a break from the harsh New France Winters. The unfairrandombrutality.com initially saw the same but the addition of STWALT saw knights, dwarves, and mages join the ranks of the New World fur trappers. (There was also a sci-fi version when Urb teased a game called Flagshipped…wonder what happened to that project) But now, seeing as all of these have been consolidated here, there isn’t any reason to have the Bear become some sort of escape from reality where heroes and soldiers go to unwind between their adventures.

For example, my original Bear character was the marooner/pirate from LW (whom I have fleshed out over the years, more on that later) but I also had a Mess Hall Character, simply known as “The Captain,” and I figure I might have a chance to have both converse within the walls of the Bear.Ultimately, it’s whatever you can think of, the Bear does not judge. So make of it what you will.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

But yea, the bear is sort of its own monster, and there really are no rules when it comes to what’s “allowed” aside from obvious spam and excessive vulgarity. At least traditionally that’s what it’s been about. To give you some insight, the original bear over on urbanprophet.com (I believed it was called the “Slumbering Ursus” there, and I think even that one was a reiteration…) had over ~1000 pages. Not posts, pages.

The Bear at it’s heart is supposed to be nonsensical and fun; not too serious, but not altogether chaotic (no “forum games” As far as RP goes, do so if you wish, but don’t feel pressured if you don’t want to either.

Now, regarding the “lore” of the Sleeping Bear, it usually took on a life of the main game in the Urb franchise or the website that hosted it: the original MnB.net had the “Mess Hall” where we roleplayed as various WWII soldiers in Normand. The original urb.com bear saw mostly coureur des bois taking a break from the harsh New France Winters. The unfairrandombrutality.com initially saw the same but the addition of STWALT saw knights, dwarves, and mages join the ranks of the New World fur trappers. (There was also a sci-fi version when Urb teased a game called Flagshipped…wonder what happened to that project) But now, seeing as all of these have been consolidated here, there isn’t any reason to have the Bear become some sort of escape from reality where heroes and soldiers go to unwind between their adventures.

For example, my original Bear character was the marooner/pirate from LW (whom I have fleshed out over the years, more on that later) but I also had a Mess Hall Character, simply known as “The Captain,” and I figure I might have a chance to have both converse within the walls of the Bear.Ultimately, it’s whatever you can think of, the Bear does not judge. It is what you wish to make of it.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

For example, my original Bear character was the marooner/pirate from LW (whom I have fleshed out over the years, more on that later) but I also had a Mess Hall Character, simply known as “The Captain,” and I figure I might have a chance to have both converse within the walls of the Bear.Ultimately, it’s whatever you can think of, the Bear does not judge. It is what wish to make of it.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

The pirate now inhabiting the corner table seems visibly irate, more so than when he first entered. Very apparently inebriated, he attempts to form words but to no avail

Having some issues posting here, anyone else having issues?

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

Hmm, that’s better.

For example, my original Bear character was the marooner/pirate from LW (whom I have fleshed out over the years, more on that later) but I also had a Mess Hall Character, simply known as “The Captain,” and I figure I might have a chance to have both converse within the walls of the Bear.Ultimately, it’s whatever you can think of, the Bear does not judge.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

That seems better.

But yea, the bear is sort of its own monster, and there really are no rules when it comes to what’s “allowed” aside from obvious spam and excessive vulgarity. At least traditionally that’s what it’s been about. To give you some insight, the original bear over on urbanprophet (I believed it was called the “Slumbering Ursus” there, and I think even that one was a reiteration…) had over ~1000 pages. Not posts, pages.

Now, regarding the “lore” of the Sleeping Bear, it usually took on a life of the main game in the Urb franchise or the website that hosted it: the original MnB net had the “Mess Hall” where we roleplayed as various WWII soldiers in Normand. The original urb.com bear saw mostly coureur des bois taking a break from the harsh New France Winters. The unfairrandombrutality initially saw the same but the addition of STWALT saw knights, dwarves, and mages join the ranks of the New World fur trappers. (There was also a sci-fi version when Urb teased a game called Flagshipped…wonder what happened to that project) But now, seeing as all of these have been consolidated here, there isn’t any reason to have the Bear become some sort of escape from reality where heroes and soldiers go to unwind between their adventures.

For example, my original Bear character was the marooner/pirate from LW (whom I have fleshed out over the years, more on that later) but I also had a Mess Hall Character, simply known as “The Captain,” and I figure I might have a chance to have both converse within the walls of the Bear.Ultimately, it’s whatever you can think of, the Bear does not judge.

Maharbal Barca
    Participant

Maybe it’s fixed now?

Now, regarding the “lore” of the Sleeping Bear, it usually took on a life of the main game in the Urb franchise or the website that hosted it: the original MnB webby had the “Mess Hall” where we roleplayed as various WWII soldiers in Normand. The original urb site bear saw mostly coureur des bois taking a break from the harsh New France Winters. The unfairrandombrutality site initially saw the same but the addition of STWALT saw knights, dwarves, and mages join the ranks of the New World fur trappers. (There was also a sci-fi version when Urb teased a game called Flagshipped…wonder what happened to that project) But now, seeing as all of these have been consolidated here, there isn’t any reason to have the Bear become some sort of escape from reality where heroes and soldiers go to unwind between their adventures.

Rooster
    Participant

Roger that, Maharbal. I’m going to wait it out a bit, get a little more natural experience by reading more of these short stories.

Reid

I participated a little in the original Sleeping Bear thread on urbanprophet.com. In my mind it was so legendary that I can’t recreate the same feeling in subsequent versions. The Slumbering Ursa was indeed what came immediately after. In the story the original tavern had “burned down” (reached 200 pages) and so the Sleeping Bear tavern owner, Mo-Tah, set up shop again with a new yet similar venue.

Eventually though people left, and without the original core gang (Mo, Samuli, panzershreck) things didn’t feel the same. Partly cause Mo-Tah’s way of writing was so brilliant and because the thread sort of relied on the core group as main characters, with a stream of minor characters wandering in or passing through. For instance, the sheriffs who came by to crack down on our antics (Tazaraki and Bersimon, forum moderators). Or someone like myself, a sea Captain (Captain was my nick on those forums) who wandered in to listen to one of panzer’s bard tales, watch Samuli drown himself in Vodka, or to hit on the bar maid.

Very good times indeed. Sadly the original posts can’t be uncovered except for a very small portion as far as I am aware. From what was left I began to draft a story that translated the posts into more of a book form. I think I will post that on the site soon.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Reid.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Reid.
    Lance

Background tales are also what this place is good for.
    Those are some sweet re-caps dear Maharbal and Reid and they are so true.
    I, very very sadly, was never able to get an account going on that old site but I followed it ever since the site link from MNB:Vietnam send me there.
    Arrived when MNB2 was still in it’s diapers stage with the only enemy to deal with for endless rounds the basic German soldiers.
    Had loads of fun with the free games there and played a bit of Last Winter too.

Flagshipped still exists as a now playable short. Want a link Maharbal?
    Star Destroyer kind of evolved out of that basic engine. Loads of fun to aid the Empire in their quest to dominate the galaxy.

Rooster
    Participant

Wow, that sound pretty epic, @Reid. Can’t say I’ve had experiences like that. Right now I’m mainly just reading all of the RP type stories before I get involved (If I even do). Kind of like and Observer, I guess.

Kacpo
    Participant

I’m relatively new here, (joined around the time when Recon lost it’s 3-phase mission system) so I don’t know how it was “in the old days”. As far as I know, there was no major roleplaying going on since last 2 years or so.
    Maybe with slight exception of small attempt on my side, with Sci-fi story of URBS “Wildfire”, where a couple of folks threw their ideas for characters, more or less personal, which is currently on hold. If anyone’s interested, I’ve got it saved up somewhere.
    Anyway, should anyone start any RP, let me know. I’ll gladly join.

Rooster
    Participant

Yeah, I’d love to see it! After all, this observer does what observers do.

LittleBunny
    Participant

I love this game.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by LittleBunny.
    Arise
    Participant

@Littlebunny I love your drawing , it looks awesome. >o<

The Last Winter might be the update in future, soon we will see what will be the next as the MNB3 is going to out. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.