Skirmish Line Alpha

Activity Forums General Forum Skirmish Line Alpha

This topic contains 158 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Snarks 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Mud And Bullet
    Participant

my sistem is 64 bits

Snarks
    Participant

@Mud And Bullet

Does it say what the name of the OS is? Windows? Mac? Linux?

Mud And Bullet
    Participant

there are an thing wich says windows 7 ultimate i dont know if is this what u want but
    about the 64 bits is only this

Jafarcakes
    Participant

0.26 works on my Mac. The tutorial felt really well made and the pace of the gameplay feels great to me! Can’t wait to see what else you end up adding later on.

Jafarcakes
    Participant

I think I found a bug. If a flamethrower sets your guys on fire and the survivor retreats into the next zone, the burning noise will be stuck.

Mud And Bullet
    Participant

hey snarks it possible correct the problem and i could play normal? or the problem is my computer?

Snarks
    Participant

@Mud And Bullet

It’s strange. I don’t know why you’re having that issue. Windows 7 should be working. Have you tried using all of the builds just in case? Download the one for Mac, Windows, and Linux and just try using them all? I’ve no idea why it isn’t working at this point. Sorry to disappoint.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  Snarks.

maousaki
    Participant

I also have windows 7 home premium edition though and 64bit and works fine dont know what going on with mud and bullet.

Snarks
    Participant

@Mud And Bullet

Could you go to the game folder and get me this file? Skirmish Line 0.26\Skirmish Line 0.26_Data\out_log.txt

I’m looking specifically for the out_log.txt file. Upload it somewhere and I’ll have a look.

DeadlyAnt
    Participant

@Mud And Bullet
    After you post the file
    Could you please tell me your screen resolution and whether the game is running in windowed mode? Also try to press Alt+Enter when you hear the sounds.

Mud And Bullet
    Participant

i dont have the 0.26 version about the other versions dont open the linux and mac version only windows open and the same problem happens the tutorial enter and the normal game not about the Alt+Enter An White Box Was On The Back Of The Menu And Then Only The Sounds Again

Snarks
    Participant

@Mud And Bullet

Can you download the latest Windows build (on this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbimmnmyswm0ei7/Skirmish%20Line%20Windows%200.26.zip?dl=0), run the game, get to the menu, then close the game and pass me this file: out_log.txt located in the Skirmish Line 0.26\Skirmish Line 0.26_Data folder? This is a debug log that will let me see some dev related messages that can help me diagnose the problem.

Mud And Bullet
    Participant

i could not find the log seroiusly i have searched everthing and no luck srry man i dont know its best just dont play and its fine for me if i cant play but i will try a couple more times here to find this log…i only have find an log called browscap…

FieldsOfFire
    Participant

Just managed to take the game for a spin on my Dell Inspiron 15-3552, Windows 10, 64-bit OS, x64 processor, 4GB ram, 1366 x 768 resolution. Sorry if I seem to be bragging; this laptop was actually quite cheap compared to many others here, though I guess that still sounds as bragging too… (Heads-up, though; I’m not that much of a tech guy!) Anyways, I have to say that the game run smoothly.
    Listed thoughts on notepad. A bit pressed for time so gonna cut-paste. Hope you don’t mind.

+ In-Menu:

– Comments:
    • Dull menu layout, buttons, font (but still alpha so def will be improved over time).

– Complaints:
    • Not explained what classic view is. It’s unexplained options like this that bug me when it comes to games.

+ In-Gameplay:

– Comments
    • Smooth animations.
    • Faster-paced gameplay than MnB2.
    > Shooting is quick.
    > Melee is quick and feels intense.
    • Enemies seem quite well-balanced. It’s numbers that kill, really.

– Complaints
    • The tutorial explains nothing. It tells you to basically use cover/concealment and fight some enemy soldiers, while not really explaining tactics, UI, game elements, etc. Definitely needs fleshing out, but I have to say that you guys might also wanna consider doing away with it altogether and maybe just opt for a manual explaining a bit of tactics, units, weapons, etc. In URB games, you learn heavily through experience.
    • Not immediately clear where enemies are coming from in the tutorial as your guys come from that direction. Problematic for non-MnB2 and even MnB2 players who play this game who aren’t expecting something so similar.
    • When I played the tutorial, ending took left arrow not right, tho text said that either goes.
    • Grenades suck.
    • UI elements never explained.
    • Soldiers are left-handed just like in MnB2. Y tho? It’s always bugged me.
    • Soldiers’ accuracy sucks really bad, even for recruits and in comparison to MnB2. Distance to target also seems to make no difference.
    • Dominant strat: Flamers — they are absolutely OP. Guaranteed kills all the way, even from burning soldiers.

Also have to say that the game feels way too much like MnB2. I’m not just talking overall controls, but audio cues, mission type, etc. Considering how MnB2 is probably one of the most popular browser-based games of all time, I hope you can try something a bit more originality. Not that you don’t already have originality, but adding even a linear mission system for example would help a great deal with that.

That’s all for now, and I have yet to seriously dive into the game. Good luck. Hope I could be of help.

Snarks
    Participant

@fieldsoffire

Thanks for the feedback FieldsOfFire! It’s good that the game can run smoothly on non-gaming machines. I’m currently in the process of getting the game to work on my phone. One of the original goals of the project was to make it a hassle free and enjoyable experience on mobile devices.

I’m uploading the next patch 0.27 now, which should address a few of the very pertinent points you’ve brought up. I don’t want to spam this post with patch notes, so I’ll just include it as a text file on Dropbox.

I made some changes to the tutorial to make it more clear (details in patch notes). We may include a reference section in the future, but our goal with the tutorial was to establish basic mechanics so that a new player will know the very basics.

The UI elements should hopefully be self-explanatory, but we’ll keep working on refining the texts and such to make it clear.

Some elements such as soldier’s left-handedness were the result of our artist choosing that stance for shooting. This also was the result of how the firing animation worked, where the firing point had to all be in the same spot. We may return to the art in the future to vary it up, but we would like to focus on adding more content at the time being.

One area we would like to spend more time working on is clarifying how weapons and their distance to targets work. There’s a fairly hefty amount of numbers involved, that would probably take somekind of detailed manual to explain. We are hoping players will experiment with the weapons to get a feel for their effectiveness, but a more detailed resource would probably come in handy for players seeking more precise details.

We’ll also experiment with some ideas for alternative mission types, but that’s something that’ll take time to implement and evaluate, unless it’s a simple variation.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar