Skills (all specialties)

Activity Forums Mud and Blood 3 Suggestions Skills (all specialties)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Commander Deltor
    Participant

Okay, so I’ve been thinking, and I have more ideas (Stop cringing)

ENGINEER
    We all love the Engineer, right? He’s smart, funny, has a Garand, etc etc. However, I think that, depending on what Urbzz goes with for skills, he might be a bit overburdened. So, I proudly introduce to you…

The COMBAT ENGINEER and the ENGINEER

The regular engineer stays how he is, but we switch the bazooka skill with another defensive thingy, say… foxhole or palisade or something like that. He’d be very defense-oriented, for when you’re ahead a few days and Axis reinforcements get called in, or when you just need to let your medic heal your squad and don’t want to be exposed. The Sandbag skill would stay, albeit moved to second-tier. This guy would also have a (maybe passive) skill to fix broken Allied vehicles like the Stuart and the Jeep.
    He would also, due to the amount of stuff he has to carry, be slower than normal, though not as slow as the Gunner or Signaler.

Now, for the new guy. The COMBAT ENGINEER.
    While the regular engineer is defense oriented and stuff, this guy packs the punch. He’s more of the demolition oriented engineer. His first skill would be planting a TNT charge, which we would switch with the Commando (give the Commando a skill to increase CQC or something for a bit). More on the workings of the TNT later.
    The Second skill would be the Bazooka. ‘Nuff said
    The third skill, I have two ideas. Say you’re up against a pillbox or an 88 or four HMG positions (I’ve been on Mortain recently, so that’s fun). Either you give this guy the mortar skill, OR he calls in a towed 37mm M3 anti-tank gun for a little while. The downside to this would be that this would require the Combat Engineer (and possibly another unit) to work the gun while it is on the field.

Weapons-wise, the Combat Engineer would be normal-ish, I think, until the final weapons tier. Then he gets a Flamethrower. However, this would slow his movement by AT LEAST 25% or whatever the Gunner and Signaler move at. He would also, instead of dying, have a slight chance of being caught on fire when hit, and a slight chance of accidentally setting squadmates on fire if they happen to be caught in the jet of flame.

That’s all for now. Someone stop me if I’m being insane. For my next trick, the Officer/Siggy duo, and the Wild Wild World of how many vehicles you should be able to call in. More on that tomorrow.

Lance

Gunner
    Has Prone-Firing. Mortar. Calls in a Jeep that stops exactly here the call was made with 50cal that he needs to man himself.
    New >>>
    Covering Fire. An area suppression (pinning) skill would be great. Half the chance to hit anything but twice the chance to pin all enemies in the target area. Works for some 10 seconds. Different weapons may effect this skill differently.

Targeting. Select the target. Upon selection the current weapon is reloaded. Then the whole mag/belt (max maybe 30 rounds) gets unloaded onto the target with a 15 point higher combat.

Tracer Rounds. This improves the whole squads accuracy during the current firefight for 5 seconds by 10 points.

Marching Fire. (This is a real skill used by the 3rd in WW2)
    A suppression fire where the gunner slowly, half his normal speed, moves while firing.
    -20% to accuracy but 50% to pinning and double the target switching as usual.

As a vehicle call the Jeep is still good but it needs to act more like the tank and have 2 man on already.

Commander Deltor
    Participant

I second Lance’s ideas for the Gunner’s new skills, specifically Marching Fire. (John Basilone anyone?)

Kacpo
    Participant

I like these ideas, but have few suggestions of my own:

Covering fire
    Increased reaction time by x2
    reduced accuracy by 25%
    morale damage (suppresion) x2
    fires ONLY at the enemies who are aiming/preparing to fire.

This skill is supposed to make the gunner effective at preventing enemies from firing at your soldiers, thus allowing them to move forward.

Suppresive fire
    Forces a reload.
    Temporary increases firerate (length of burst) and targets all enemies in sight.
    Effectively suppresses all hostiles in sight.
    Effect lasts until end of the magazine/belt.

Honestly, I don’t like the idea of Marching fire and Tracer rounds.

The first one is somewhat against (in my opinion) the theme of a gunner, which is low mobility. Allowing him to fire on the move is more of a Commando/Scout thing.
    As for the latter, that once again is something I’d rather see a scout or an officer do.

With that being said, I’ve got new concept surrounding promotios and wider range or skills:

Put active and passive skills into one bag, shake it and then pull out random 3.

What I mean:

Limited and predictible randomization. (The bread and butter of all URB games.)

How does it work:
    Every time your soldier is promoted, they get to pick one upgrade, out of 3 given at time. The upgrades are taken randomly from a pool of upgrades available for this specyfic class (no healing snipers or airstrikes called by gunners.)
    By upgrade, I mean any Skill, Weapon, Passive ability or Combat upgrade (current promotion)
    Also, every time an upgrade is picked, it’s removed from the list, to prevent a soldier from receiving several of the same skills. (3 bazookas)

This gives few things to consider:
    – gives some more randomization which can make games more fun/unfair/unpredictable by making 3rd skills just as (un)available as the first ones.
    – allows us to mess with the number of skills and passive upgrades.

Right now, you have 3 weapon upgrades, 3 active skills and 3 combat upgrades + a wildcard medal. and this goes for everyone.
    With the system I suggest, we can change that to uneven numbers, by increasing or decreasing the number of certian upgrades for certian classes.
    For example:
    Marksman can have 4 combat upgrades, but get’s only 3 skills and 2 weapon upgrades.
    Radiooperator get’s only 2 weapons, 2 combat upgrades, but can pick from 5 different skills
    Rifleman get’s 3 combat upgrades, 2 skills and 4 weapons to chose from.

ETC. you get the point.

What is also worth noting is that we can increase the sum of all possible upgrades above the maximum available promotions limit (9). This way you can have more possible skills and weapons to chose from, but still balancing all classes by allowing them max of 9 upgrades per soldier.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Kacpo.

Vipility
    Participant

@kacpo Vouch

Lance

I really like that idea about “Limited and predictable randomization.” @kacpo
    Including lots more passive kind of skills into the mix would be great.
    Reducing weapons, rank or skill trees in favor of another is a great idea.
    Someone like the Signaller really does not need a big choice of weapons nor would the Medic.
    Some could have more Rank upgrades available like the Officer or the Rifleman.
    Some even more weapons like the Commando or Scout so that we can customize him more to our needs.

Also there could be the option to downgrade a weapon free of charge (or a small fee but not an upgrade point) since it was already unlocked.
    This would be great in game for when you go from open terrain into dense areas and back again.

The MEDAL (heal-all +Moral-max) could also be upgraded.
    Could start with +40HP and Moral. Then +80hp+M and finally +110hp+M+Fearless.
    Other Medal wise effects could also go in.

Kacpo
    Participant

As for weapon (and in fact all of the promotions) balancing, I’d prefer more of a side-grade, rather than stright-up-grade.

Like, you can unlock a M3greesegun, Garand and M1crabine for a radiooperator all at the same time. They are just effective at different things.
    M3 gives more suppressive power and CQC effectivness, Crabine is medicore in all aspects adn Garand is for long range.
    Most people would most likely stick to garand, because it suits the need the best, but you get the point.

Unfortunately it get’s harder with classes like Marksman (LeeEnfield is just springfield but with double the mag capacity.) and Gunner (BAR vs Lewis vs .30cal)

As for medals, I’d just leave them in the pool of available options for every soldier. I don’t really believe they need to be changed as a power-up.

In case of skills, you can’t really say that one is definitely better than other, and if you can, it could be changed:
    Example:
    Rifleman and grenades. Right now rifle grenade is definitely better than frag because it’s more accurate adn has longer range.
    How about making it less accurate at extreme distances (unlikely to gib a German at max firing range) and deal less AOE damage than a frag?
    This way a normal grenade will become more viable option, while rifle grenade will still have it’s advantages (range and AT capabilities.)

Matt
    Participant

*Edit* For some reason after I hit submit, my post didn’t show on the page but apparently the system said it’s already been submited, so I’m reposting it to make sure. ._.

Right so, I’m new to the forum, but I’ve been a mud and blood fan for years, and after extensively playing mnb3 and reading the suggestions above, I’d like to give my two cents.

Medic: Trade the Garand and Sarge promotion for two more medic skills.
    1. Casualty clearing: While active, automatically carries an incapitated soldier and carries him 100px(? up for debate) back down the line. -25% movement speed while carrying. 60 second cool-down.
    2. Triage center: Sets up a small medical post and provides constant 3hp/s healing for 60 seconds. Useful as a fallback position and used in cohesion with casaulty clearing. 120 second cool-down.

Officer: Trade the Garand and Thompson for an extra promotion and one more skill.
    1. Patton’s Ghosts: Call in two M8 Greyhounds (a go-between of the jeep and Stuart) for some serious armed recon. Useable once per map.
    2. Major rank (? I think it’s Major afterwards, iunno): Passive moral regeneration aura for nearby soldiers (maybe 1 morale/3 seconds?), opportunity call chance increases by 3% (? might be too much). Can’t be pinned.

Signaller: Trade the Thompson and M1 carbine for two more skills. -5 combat skill.
    1. Creeping barrage: Calls in 4-6 artillery shells that fall in a predetirmined line. (Click the skill, then click the area, then the line will show and you move your mouse to adjust course) 120 second cool-down.
    2. Bunker buster: Call in a precise, extremely deadly and high explosive bomb drop. 120 second cool-down.

Engineer: -5 combat skill (I think he already has this, but I can’t really remember), +5% saving throws for himself and nearby sqaudmates when behind cover.
    1. Bazooka: Increase the blast radius on this so that even if I miss a tank, I can at the very last damage a part of it. ‘Cuz so far you literally have to land the hit RIGHT in the center of the turret to do any damage, and given it’s abysmal accuracy at range it’s irritating.
    2. Satchel charge: Throws a satchel charge to clear bunkers and enemy entrenchments; very deadly, very short range. 15 second fuse. 60 second cool-down.
    3. Foxhole: Dig a fortified trench that grants a +10% saving throws to squadmates who are inside. 120 second cool-down.

Rifleman: Current stats with +5% supression resistance.
    1. Smoke: At the very least double the smoke coverage, ‘cuz it’s tiny as hell. The rest of the skills are fine.

Gunner: The gunner will set up his weapon just like in mnb2 after some time. Everything else stays the same.
    1. Supressive volley: Target switches non-stop for 10 seconds, -30% accuracy. 30 second cool-down.
    2. Oppresive fire: Player selects an area, at which the gunner fires extended bursts for 10 seconds. +20% accuracy, can’t target switch outside the area (30 degree firing cone) while during so. 30 second cool-down.
    3. Jeep support: Call in a jeep with a .50 (gunner included) from the side of the map (like a frenchie) to do a drive-by of the immediate area. Lasts for 15 seconds. One jeep per map if destroyed, 120 second cool-down. *Sidenote*: Either increase the .50’s turn speed or fire rate a tad, otherwise it’s not gonna be effective.

Marksman: +25 combat skill, trades one skill for another weapon upgrade.
    1. D-Boys Anti-tank rifle: More cannon than rifle, massive damage and extreme range paired with a dinky 5 round mag. Can damage light vehicles.
    2. Precision shooting: Like Assasination, but can be applied to enemy vehicles, on which the marksman can cause light damage (e.g disable tracks, kill the tank commander, etc). Works best with the AT rifle. 30 second cool-down.
    3. Boogeyman: The marksman goes prone and camoflauges himself, increasing his next shot accuracy by 40% and damage by 30%. Loses camoflauge after firing. 60 second cool-down.

Commando: No changes except in skills.
    1. Stealth advance: Goes undetectable for 15 seconds, and gets an extra 5% movement speed buff. 30 second cool-down.
    2. Run ‘n gun: Able to fire on the move for 10 seconds, -30% accuracy. 30 second cool-down.
    3. PIAT launcher: Fires an AT projectile with a high trajectory, able to bypass foilage, trees and buildings. Very limited range. 60 second cool-down.

Scout: Trades one skill for another weapon upgrade. +5% accuracy bonus to nearby squadmates. Still has the x2 detection range buff.
    1. Scoped M2 carbine: Fully automatic, light-weight, and deadly accurate weapon with a 30 round mag.
    2. First skill remains the same.
    3. Spotting flare: Fires a flare with the range of a rifle grenade to reveal enemies in a 100px radius. All spotted enemies with the flare are 15% easier to hit. Lasts 10 seconds. 30 second cool-down.

Lance

Welcome to the Forums Matt. 🙂
    The sites security system is so picky that it often kills posts if they take to long to write then get submitted, contain to many links or “bad” links or by Editing a Post it deletes it completely.

Those are awesome suggestions.
    Medic dragging a downed man to safety is nice. Could be passive instead of a Skill.
    Setting up a “Triage center” seams more reasonable then the current 1st skill.
    It should only heal one man at a time.

Officer is currently underpowered. Calling in more support units could be interesting.
    Signaller already is OP in skills. Needs a nerf in fighting and some other skills too.
    Engineers bazooka is a shape-charge-warhead. Very small blast area. The Tanks are generally a bit to tough right now. Our squad does not have many means to do anything at all against them.

1. Smoke: At the very least double the smoke coverage, ‘cuz it’s tiny as hell.
    You said it. A problem with all MnB games.

Good Gunner ideas.
    For the Marksman an AT-Gun was in the making but I guess it would not serve much purpose unless vs a Panzer4 since it actually had poor range and poor aim vs human targets.
    Camouflage is for the Ranger and I think would make the Marksman to powerful.

2. Run ‘n gun:
    Better for Scout then Commando maybe. Like in MnB2.
    Scoped M2 carbine: for Scout would make him totally OP. The shotgun alone at max combat makes him better then the Marksman.

3. Spotting flare: Was active in an older version but very ineffective at it’s job.
    Thanks a lot for your input. Stay brutal and URB On!

Matt
    Participant

Setting up a “Triage center” seams more reasonable then the current 1st skill.
    It should only heal one man at a time.

Sounds nice, intensive care would be for more squad-based heals and the triage center for more high priority healing.

Signaller already is OP in skills. Needs a nerf in fighting and some other skills too.

Siggy’s coup de grace is his arty strike, but in all honesty sometimes it’s just tedious to have to call in 4-5 arty strikes to disable a tiger tank for your squad to bypass it safetly. Accuracy is a major issue, and creeping barrage/bunker buster are skills that trade area coverage for precision. Though I agree giving the siggy more ground controlling skills is a bit overkill, but he’s the only class that fits the roll. Maybe the officer could work with a signaller for more efficient strike calls, like better accuracy or longer barrages.
    The classic mnb2 duo.

Combat wise, the -5 combat skill penalty might be a bit too little for have any affect, but as the game currently is, the only way to reliably rank up a soldier is for him to do damage with his rifle or take point. Hacking his combat skill too much will make him considerably harder to rank up and unlock those battle bossing skills, and his -25% movement penalty makes him a poor pointman.

Engineers bazooka is a shape-charge-warhead. Very small blast area. The Tanks are generally a bit to tough right now. Our squad does not have many means to do anything at all against them.

Now that I think of it, it might be the tank’s hitbox not being completely fleshed out instead of the zook’s blast radius. In my last game, I managed to land 3 conssecutive arty shells on a tiger (rngesus blessed my accuracy), and to my surprise all I did was destroy it’s main gun, damage the suspension, and start a fire. (German engineering, best engineering). In contrast, my previous 3 arty strikes that landed all around the tiger didn’t do anything. (Might’ve done splash damage, but I can’t tell) Maybe when the game’s more complete, dynamic damage can make disabling tanks more realistic and reliable.

For the Marksman an AT-Gun was in the making but I guess it would not serve much purpose unless vs a Panzer4 since it actually had poor range and poor aim vs human targets.
    Camouflage is for the Ranger and I think would make the Marksman to powerful.

I realize using an AT rifle against enemy infantry is a poor substitute for an ordinary rifle, but the gibbing potential is enormous. (Glorious, glorious gibs) But for authenticity’s sake, I guess it could be a skill. Order your marksman to fire a single AT rifle shot at a designated target, one shotting infantry, ignoring cover saves, and being able to damage tanks parts. The boogeyman skill gives camo, but the marksman is immobile while it’s active. The camo just helps so that he isn’t targeted and pinned, giving him a window to make a shot across. The accuracy and damamge buffs are just there to ensure that his next shot hits home. Like a mentioned, he loses it as soon as he fires, whereas the commando can remain hidden while firing. So I feel it’s pretty balanced.

2. Run ‘n gun:
    Better for Scout then Commando maybe. Like in MnB2.
    Scoped M2 carbine: for Scout would make him totally OP. The shotgun alone at max combat makes him better then the Marksman.

I was actually torn about whether run n’ gun was more fitting for the scout or commando, but I went with commando in the end due to him being a completely offensive class that emphasized on mobility and closing the engagement range. Being able to fire on the move means the commando can suppress enemies on the run, allowing him to safetly get to the frontlines where he’s most at home. The scout on the other hand, while deadly in his own right, is more about utility, increasing your section’s sightlines and threat discovery (though giving him run n’ gun would definitely be a nice mnb2 throwback).

The scoped M2 carbine was really just my own fantasy. For such an effective weapon of it’s time it’s seriously underpowered in the game (along with the B.A.R, sadly). The Thompson more than suffices as the scout’s top tier weapon, I was just letting my fantasies run wild.

3. Spotting flare: Was active in an older version but very ineffective at it’s job.
    Thanks a lot for your input. Stay brutal and URB On!

The only reason I wanted to put the flare in was because I wanted to be able to spot large masses of enemies in one go, allowing for more planned out engagements. But thinking back now, simply hammering the area where you spotted the nearest enemy with explosives more or less does the job. So maybe ditching the flare and going for a trap/mine detection skill/range, or a skill that increases your whole squad’s accuracy (he is a scout after all, relaying enemy positions to squadmates is what he does).

But yeah, thanks for the welcome and feedback.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar