New Ranger Tactics and discussions

Activity Forums Recon Tactics and Strategies New Ranger Tactics and discussions

This topic contains 42 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Lance 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

DevilPup29
    Participant

Hello! I am creating this so the new Ranger commanders can discuss tactics and just talk recon to each other. So, start asking questions and hopefully me (or more experienced people) can help you!

Rooster
    Participant

Well I’m sure glad this is a thing! I’ve been playing Recon for almost 2 years now, but I’ve never gotten past the rank of Captain due to my dumb computer deleting history unauthorized. So now I’m a Captain (Capt. Hanvold) and a new mission was added. “Dead Drop”. And Jesus H. Christ is that hard (For me at least). I spent 4 in game days looking for this obscure box and only ran into countless VC and their defenses. At the end, I covered 85% of the AO. I was dedicated, but I never found the damn thing. How does one find this box? Is it randomly placed? Am I not looking hard/long enough? Any strategies or tips? Also, that mission cost me 3 men. One big shit sammich without the bread.

Mexican Batman
    Participant

Well that depends on how you want to do it , I usually go in hard , heavy and loud . I usually give my men all machine guns like m-60’s and a stoner lmg for the radioman. I give them sandals so they aren’t followd everywhere . I usually throw grenades in the trenches so I give them all grenades. I also call for over flights to find assets and to get to the box . If you want to do it the stealthy way , ask Arise he is a true Master of Stealth. I am more of a search and destroy type of player.

Mexican Batman
    Participant

Maybe this video helps but definitely talk to Arise if you want to see the stealth way.

DevilPup29
    Participant

Well, I don’t know too much about the dead drop missions, All I know is that I can’t do them well and you have to remain unspotted. If you know you are going to have difficulty with a mission, have some CAS on stand-by and pop smoke. Have plenty of AT and AP weaponry on your rangers, if you have the M79, use it. If you don’t, use Grenades, M18s and M72s.

Farlarzia
    Participant

You do NOT have to remain stealthed for dead drop missions. I believe the requirement for killcards is to remain unscathed. Dead drops seems by far the hardest to do this, with the enemy being extremely well entrenched, the entire map grid charlie full of them, and expect lots of fortifications behind them.

Arise
    Participant

Remain undetected sure is not the kill card requirement, to deal with the Dead Drop, enemy defensive line is not a issue as it is easy to pass through without scratch. No matter what kind of game style you use, stealth or ambush all the same. The problem is searching the box!

Box can be anywhere which from the the trench line to the grid Alpha, searching this take the time and make you have to deal with lots of problem and be much easier to step on the trap as you have to walk around.

In this mission, MG and supporting weapon hide in the defensive asset is the most common issue and can kill the ranger or disable them. I would suggest not to clean the trench line unless you wish to use Primary LZ. Just find a place which can easy pass through. This apply in two style, Ambush can make sure no need to deal with the MG, stealth can prevent be accidentally spot by the MG.

Mostly the Dead Drop will have a picture like this one:

There will be a Trench line on the middle grid C, so don’t close too quickly before you make sure what you are going to do. Mostly there will be at least 2 Defensive position above of the Trench Line and 1~2 Camp site near them. The higher heat you have, the more surprise you get from the VC. Another problem is come from the start of mission when you get into the AO, you appeared on the grid E. But as the start position will be random, so you might have a bad luck like this one.

So press hot key and hold is important while you start the game, especially on this mission. >o<

Dead Drop AO is a complex place for both style player, as you can not make sure the fire line and spot line always stand on your side. The Camp Site + Defensive Position is always the bad mix for anything. Of course, from the other side, this mission is a good place to collect the Intel. If the QRF scale is not a issue, here is a good place to practice your ranger and gain exp.

Here is a small video by myself, hope this can help you.

Mexican Batman
    Participant

Only you would be able to walk right by an enemy asset and resist the urge to blow it up and start mowing down the enemy, this is why I always say if you want to know about stealth talk to Arise. Nobody does it like him, the guy is a Ninja Master in Recon.

Farlarzia
    Participant

While getting through one portion of the trench is simple enough, the difficulty comes, as you said, with the fact the drop box can be in a huge area. And Bird Dog is almost entirely useless, being that they’re much more likely to spot the endless trenches, camps, defensive positions, or other structures on the map. So after you’ve relegated yourself to a ground search, you have a huge area to cover, taking significant time, luck, and skill to properly execute. Worst comes to worst, you might have to clear all the trenches in a attempt to find it.
    I avoid these missions at all costs, as they risk undertaken in them is extreme, in the guaranteed resistance encountered, the negation of bird dog, and long mission times.

Arise
    Participant

Thanks Brother! >o<

@farlarzia sure sometimes the Dead Drop take long time to search, but we can do it step by step. mostly I will pass through as quiet as possible in the mission start, and begin the search from grid alpha. As there are less enemy appeared so it will be quiet soon. Also, it is very common to find a radio station here which is the best option to collect the Intel.

After that, start the grid bravo searching and keep eyes on the defensive position. make sure to keep the distance, some mission can be finished here. If still not, then close to start searching about the Trench Line. Try to find the gap and pass through, and avoid any unnecessary combat. After find the box, return to the grid alpha and find a secondary LZ to extract at night. This is my style.

For ambush style, my way is start at one side of trench line, and use rifle or toss grenade to three trench to clean them. like this picture.

After that, start an great ambush operation as quick as possible. Be sure you search the area twice, to avoid you have to turn back to search again. If possible, do not close to the trench line again unless you make sure the box must be near the trench line. After ambush, bring back to silent and keep high alert about the QRF. Finally extract near the 5-A.

Why 5-A, it is the most safe place to extract in the Recon. Huey Will go random direction, so keep your Huey as safe as possible is to reduce the flying time and limit the angle.

The extraction point you choice will also set the Huey insert route and extraction possible chart. as it will be random leave, the position you choice become very important. Estimate the possible threat in this area( Of course you only can make sure the area you already know), try to find a best place to call Huey.

Using this method to plan your route, you can simply decrease the possible chance being shoot down by ground fire, especially on the hot AO. Of course, clean some asset and enemy group or extract at night all can increase the survival chance. Do your best and prey! Non a simple way can guarantee you 100% survive!

So, have a nice day with Dead Drop, even it might the hardest mission in Recon. XD

Rooster
    Participant

Ok, thank a million. I was going to upload a picture of the tac map with my strategy, but i have no clue how to upload one so I’ll just stick with your pro plan, but one thing: How do you set the extraction point? Is it where the Lurps are when you call it in? I’m pretty lame-brained so you’ll have to expect this kind of stuff from me.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Rooster.

DevilPup29
    Participant

Well, you can’t set the LZ, if you are a captain, you can use a smoke grenade to call in for the secondary LZ. You have to click on the huey channel “Request Extraction at Secondary LZ” and call in the EVAC at an open area. Meaning, no trees or bushes, rocks don’t count though.

DevilPup29
    Participant

Another thing that I find helpful, have a log of things that happen during your tour, like missions, your rangers, mail box, and enemy activity like their readiness and all that.

Lance

Excellent idea DevilPup29 but for future reference you should post suggestions in the suggestion thread.
    Seams that a topic on How to post pictures and videos here is in order or I will simply edit the Sleeping Bears first post and place some helpful site stuff there. Will see.

Nebula
    Participant

I have the same problem as Rosster.. I cant find the freaking thing. I tried both tactics but it seems to not exist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar