Mister Reyth's Strategy Guide (as of day 50, Mortain)

Activity Forums Mud and Blood 3 Strategies Mister Reyth's Strategy Guide (as of day 50, Mortain)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mister Reyth 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mister Reyth
    Participant

This guide contains spoilers if you prefer to develop your own strategies.

All the way up until St. Vero, I was able to use the following basic strategy:

TEAM

RADIO
    SCOUT
    GUNNER
    SNIPERx3

This is what I call a “small arms” tactical team. Keep using the Scout’s “blue-discover the closest enemy” skill and use the Snipers and Arty attacks to effortlessly wipe out enemies.

This game would have become boring if that was all there was to it. Fortunately, Urbz is a hardcore gamer and nobody’s fool and so he brought us St. Vero and beyond.

At St. Vero, this strategy ceases to work because the German troops become hardcore snipers & machine gunners and they start swarming in packs and aggressively (and actually) wielding mortars in the background. This German tactic overruns the Snipers and Gunner team.

The only way to survive at St. Vero and beyond is to wield only the most powerful skills available to us. I accidentally discovered this when I got so frustrated at losing over and over at St. Vero that I decided to simply play every role other than the four named above; I just mushed them together and started walking around just for fun. What I amazingly discovered was that I won!

It was then that I realized that the “non-obvious” role choices are really the most powerful ones and are actually necessary to wield the power necessary to put down the much more powerful and well armed German forces at St. Vero and beyond.

Here is a basic description:

RADIO — Every team must have this no matter what. The ability to recruit new troops (Reinforcements) and wield Arty strikes are the sine qua non of any successful team.

GUNNER — The power of this troop cannot be ignored. It provides IMMEDIATE and undeniable force as soon as it is recruited and is almost always my first choice when starting with fresh troops. Additionally, the ability to call Mortar strikes is a very powerful compliment to the Arty strike ability of the RADIO; notice that it is only a compliment, this is due to the fact that Mortar strikes are highly inaccurate. I would be very suprised to see any team without a GUNNER.

ENGINEER — Building sandbags and laying mines are practically useless. Snipers hit our troops with ease whether we are in a bunker or behind sandbags. The reason to take the ENGINEER is the Bazooka; THAT is a game changer and with upgraded weapons, this makes the role COMBAT ENGINEER. Sure, you can mine roads as you pass them and it sure is sneaky fun but we are talking about winning here with overwhelming force and it is the Bazooka that accomplishes this.

RIFLEMAN — So easy to ignore but once you recruit and play with this troop, you umust always have one in every team. The combination of Grenade and Rifle Grenade (with separate timers) practically makes the RIFLEMAN a one-man army (with upgraded weapons). Once you wipe out an enemy swarm with the RIFLEMAN Grenades, you will never create a team without this troop.

MEDIC — Until you see the MEDIC in action, single-handedly maintaining your entire team in perfect health, it is very easy to want to skip this troop. The ability to max out healing and apply personal first aid, really makes a difference when the going gets rough; just schedule a private meeting with the MEDIC behind your front line and you can restore any troop VERY quickly and in the heat of combat. What is not readily apparent though is that with upgraded weapons, this role becomes COMBAT MEDIC; you can give the MEDIC a Grease Gun with its very first upgrade level!

OFFICER — I personally thought this had to be the worst role of them all. Boy did my opinion change once I played and won with the OFFICER. Part of winning once the gloves come off in St. Vero and beyond, is to deal with SWARMS of enemy troops that get up close and personal in large numbers. The “Gold Star” skill (first one) is extremely helpful in maximizing the firepower of your entire team when every millisecond counts and multiple enemies need to die immediately. The OFFICER also has a natural, “automatic” skill that improves the combat skills of the troops which operates on a timer and which effects are cumulative. Its hard to put the proper value on the inspirational skills of the OFFICER but what really attracted me to this role was the Stuart Tank. Tank hetters gonna het but the goal of this game is to take ground and every time the Tank is around I find myself able to take that ground with confidence. I just focus on moving and let the Tank do his thing. I always call the Tank starting at the first encounter where Germans “appear suddenly” in addition to the stationary “guard troops”. I will then continuously call the Tank every time it leaves the AO. As a side note, the Tank is good for clearing out flanking troops when your reinforcements need to reach your front line. When I am unable to call my Tank, I feel like I am wearing a shirt with nothing else (blush).

SPEC OPS — As much as I like the idea of Reinfrenchments, they are after all, only small arms soldiers and have no reliable weapons upgrade tree (its only random). The ability to move invisibly is fun but will this actually win games and allow you to move ahead of schedule? The immediate combat threat this role provides as soon as it hits the game is undeniable but in the final analysis, its only a small arms role and lacks any greater power. I used to always bring one of these into every battle until I realized how it was wasting space for a role with more power like even just a RIFLEMAN.

SNIPER — No doubt the most powerful small arms unit in the game. Their ability to immediately slay the enemy is undeniable. The problem is their lack of any greater power. The ability to target a specific enemy individually or for the entire team is simply underwhelming in the heat of battle and they are limited to killing a single enemy at a time whereas a RIFLEMAN or even ENGINEER can kill multiple enemies with a single strike (Bazooka/Grenades). As much as a I love the SNIPER I have to admit its lack of power in the final analysis.

SCOUT — The absolute best troop to have until you hit St. Vero. Once there, the Germans no longer play “hide and seek”, they play “MOMMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT!” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg) instead. The SCOUT can stay at home playing jump rope, jacks or other such childrens’ game.

STRATEGY

[TO BE CONTINUED]

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Mister Reyth.

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Hmmm why can’t I see my post (its the OP)?

I need to some Moderator help on this one, there may be some tags that have made the post impossible to see or something…

Is there a maximum post length that will snarf the post if it is too long?

I have saved the post in Notepad until this issue is worked out…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Mister Reyth.

Lance

This does not show on the front page or the forum directory.
    Others had this happen before that a forum entry gets eaten by the site in whole or in parts.
    Sadly the latest site version update did not fix this or maybe it is some sort of safety function that kicks in when a standard site uses makes to many edits.
    Sadly I do not know of the safety settings here to confirm this.

Lets see if this post shows. Re-posting the stater post.

Hmmm why can’t I see my post (its the OP)?
    I need to some Moderator help on this one, there may be some tags that have made the post impossible to see or something…
    Is there a maximum post length that will snarf the post if it is too long?
    I have saved the post in Notepad until this issue is worked out…

Lance

This thread still does not show in the forum threads list.
    Best be I delete this whole thread any you try to make a new one.
    In case that fails let me now and I will make a thread for you.
    OK? @jimmiemonteith

Mister Reyth
    Participant

I cannot delete this thread but I am formally requesting that it be deleted here and now.

I will make a new one; I have it all pasted in my Notepad. 😀

Lance

Correction: It seams that the site decided to put your first post into the SPAM Folder and I was to careless as to look there for it.
    Sorry. Thread is un-spammed and working now.
    Apparently the you-tube link you made in that first post set of the spam filter.
    I deleted all posts after the first since they have no relevance now.

So a TIP for all out there. If a post does not show then remove links and try again.

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Aha! Thanks! Ok, here is the dump I am working on for the strategy part:

The goal is to 100% control the map and flow of battle until we reach the finish line. This is easier to accomplish if we have leveled troops and with them, I use the following general strategy guidelines.

1) Inch forward “1 troop space” forward with each troop in a horizontal line:

becomes
    which becomes

then becoming

Etc.

Keep inching forward until you

receive fire

or your

troops detect the enemy

. This tactic is necessary because we don’t have space for the SCOUT in our team and if we walk willy nilly into a tripod-machine-gunner, even the most powerful leveled troop will get instantly sawed in half.

If you receive fire that is a German sniper, keep inching forward until your troops detect it. If you receive automatic fire immediately retreat

2) Call Arty, Mortar & Tank as soon as a German troop appears suddenly that is not a stationary “guard troop”. Aim the artillery just above the first troop that appears in an attempt to wipe out the swarm.

Radio — Arty
    Soldier — Grenades
    Engineer — Bazooka
    Medic — Healing
    Officer — Tank
    Gunner — Mortar

Sniper Spec

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Bunker Strategy

While in a Bunker (like in Mortain) our troops are invulnerable to arty, mortars and grenades and so when the Germs swarm, we can actually call arty, mortars and grenades into our immediate AO, where the swarm is, without harm.

Here is an example of it in my Mortain video:

Lance

This looks good to gain a single field and then stop.
    For strategies I find it is necessary to state for what;
    * Field type.
    * How any fields you are aiming for to advance.
    ~ A team for safely gaining 1 field to stay on schedule is totally different then one that is aiming for a gold star award.
    * How far ahead or behind.
    * Profile rank ~ since for example a Signaller is much more valuable with 10 opportunity calls then just one.
    * How long it may take to gain a field.
    ~ Personally I hate to go full chicken shitz an inch at a time. Boring as fu*k and takes way to long to end a field.
    Also Patton would kick your rear end personally if he could for playing like that. 😉

You suggested; TEAM; RADIO, SCOUT, GUNNER, SNIPERx3
    Good set if you do not get swarmed early on and haver time to level up cause in my experience is one Gunner not capable to hold more then a hand full of enemies at bay before they make trouble.

Towards your Bunker Strategy.
    Currently bunkers are easy ex farms for our men since the enemy does not use their own defensive structures properly.
    And then when they charge you in mass most run all the way past your men in bunker if not slaughtered before.
    You said that Mines (Engineer) are useless as well as Sandbags. Here they help a bit in decimating the horde.
    Overall Mortain is way to easy (for me) for the reasons above.

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Thanks for your input. As far as clearing a single map, I consider it the same thing as clearing multiple maps. I also have not explained my leveling strategy where we find the man with the closest experience to 9; i.e. 9 19 29. We choose this man as our scout and move him up alone, trying to use as much cover as possible. When he levels we synch all the men up and repeat. This will level the troops much faster than simply moving them all together. It is essential we level our men to a certain point before all the shoe shine oil hits the fan; RADIO must have at least strafing run, ENGINEER must have his Bazooka, MEDIC needs a Grease Gun and the RIFLEMAN needs at least a Grenade and preferably the Rifle Grenade.

There is no difference between inching forward and making large leaps EXCEPT that our troops will not fire unless they are not moving; I have had my fully leveled troops sawn in half too many times by a tripod gunner. NOTHING protects our ranged troops against a tripod gunner.

I haven’t explained the range strategy where our goal is to enter the 5 man pixel area where we can see & fire upon the tripod but he cannot fire upon us; if we run at huge leaps we will simply overrun this tactical window.

Don’t blame me, blame Urbz for making our men more dedicated to moving than attacking. 😉

Here is another one:

Radar Bombing Strategy

Scroll the screen up until you hear footsteps. Call an Arty strike in the middle of the screen where you hear them or in the most probable place where they might be walking, like say along a stone wall or line of sandbags. This allows us to effortlessly kill enemies and clear their cover before entering their AO with an attack that is better than 100% blind.

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Tripod Gunner….+
    ……+…..R…………..+
    ……+…..A…………..+
    ……+…..N…………..+
    ……+…..G…………..+
    ……+…..E…………..+
    [T A C T I C A L…..+
    W I N D O W]……..+
    ……………OUR TROOPS

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Of couruse everyone is going to het me for this but I think the ENGINEER is OP with the Bazooka as the first skill in the upgrade tree. The Sandbags need to be first, followed by the Mines and with the Bazooka as last.

Maybe Urbz did this because it would make the game too dificult in the harder maps for our troops to level up?

Arise
    Participant

Yes, intentionally we add Bazooka as first skill. In the future, it is possible to reduce the bazooka AP damage in order to keep it as AT Skill with unreliable AP damage. Also, it is possible to increase it’s cooling timer.

We remain it as first one, is because the squad is lack of AT ability if you get the tank in early fight. Even through, it is still common that we face the early tank without any AT weapon in early patch, that is why we always keep it in the first skill.

See how the skill system will go, the balance sure will become better and better.

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Hey really kewl @arise!

STRATEGY UPDATE: (muwahahaaha) let’s make Urbz mad! If we are taking ground that none of our soldiers have been on (the horizontal line that no troop has crossed), then we simply need to move our “scout” (who is about to level) up a small bit (maybe as small as 3 men pixels) and simply let him sit. If he is a 9’er (9, 19 29 etc.) he will just automatically level within 15-30 seconds of just waiting; i.e. no need to continue to move him into new territory — save that for the next scout!

Now, if the man is NOT a 9’er then we need to move him 1 man pixel upward for every 1 experience point that he gains. So let’s say he is level 26 and all the other troops are 5’ers and below. We start by moving him up like 3 man pixels and just wait until he is level 27 which will happen within 30 seconds. Then move him up 1 man pixel and wait until he is level 28 and repeat until he levels.

MUWAHAAHAHA!

Mister Reyth
    Participant

Sneaky Mastermind

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar