Lt. Dan's Guide to Recon Weapons

Activity Forums Recon Tactics and Strategies Lt. Dan's Guide to Recon Weapons

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lt.Dan Lt.Dan 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

Having unlocked/used every Recon weapon at this point, I thought it would be great to have a guide for every gun in case you need a little extraneous data that you can’t find in the wiki. If you need the stats of the gun just click on the name for the link.

Note: The guns are ranked in their order of effectiveness, with every factor taken into account (including weight and such).

1. M16 M203: With all things considered, this is the best gun in the game. The M16 by itself is already a decent killer at mid-range: with the grenade launcher attached it is capable of rapid destruction akin to that to a helicopter gunship. At ten pounds, it’s lighter than most of the other heavy killers and thus is a great trade-off. The other great thing about the M203 is that it negates the high jam disadvantage; when jammed, the gun can still keep enemy heads low with grenades.

2. M60: Number two was a hard decision but it really has to go to the M60. That incredibly high weight will turn off players wanting a light loadout but for high-heat, high-danger missions the M60 is superior to any other machine gun. Experienced rangers will utilize it’s insane range and damage to it’s full potential, allowing it to decimate enemy positions. New rangers can still help by suppressing, wounding, and eventually killing, due to it’s high rate of fire. Rangers will rank up quickly with this gun.

3. BAR: Slot three was a close one between the FN FAL and BAR, both slow-firing automatics with high stopping power. While the FN FAL boasts slightly higher damage and range, plus a slightly lower jam chance, the BAR has a 67% higher rate of fire, more magazines, and less recoil. This allows it to kill faster at farther ranges. Both weigh the same, and both should be equipped by experienced rangers (he will put it to devastating use).

4. FN FAL: Number 4 for reasons above. It’s just a powerful weapon in every respect. Because of it’s very low rate of fire it should be only equipped on rangers with high Combat skill so they can make use of that high damage.

5. M14: Yes, I know this is one of the easiest weapons to unlock. Yet, in the hands of a veteran ranger, it quickly drops opponents, even at long range. High Combat and Spot turns your M14 man into a sniper with incredible precision. It’s easily the best marksman rifle in the game, with less recoil than the SVD, higher fire rate than the M40, and twice the ammunition than both put together.

6. Stoner 63: This is the ultimate assault rifle, with balanced damage/range/fire rate, one of the lowest jam rates in the game (which is strange, since the Stoner was known to have reliability issues in real life), low recoil, low weight, and high ammunition reserves. It can be used in any mission: Whether a mission requires low weight or high firepower, the Stoner delivers. A great gun for new Rangers to rank up with.

7. Thompson: There is no gun better at close range killing than this one. Low recoil, MAC-10 rate of fire, and high damage means that at close to mid range the bodies will fall fast. The only reason it isn’t higher than number 7 is due to the range deficit when compared to other heavy killers, and it’s moderately high weight.

8. HK33: This is a rare assault rifle, but a decent one at that. For low-weight missions the HK33 is a contender with the Stoner 63, and although the Stoner wins with less weight and better balance, the HK33 holds it’s own with decent range, good recoil, and low jam chance. The Stoner is slightly better but it can be really based on preference when you equip this thing. Like most assault rifles, the HK33 is very suitable for new rangers due to low recoil and balanced stats.

9. Model 77E: This is the heavy-hitter of the starter weapons. Right off the bat you can see massive damage and decent range; but soon you will realize that it takes a lot of skill to use this weapon efficiently due to it’s slow rate of fire. But when it’s in the hands of an experienced fighter, it’s pretty much a mid-ranged sniper rifle. Also, the low rate of fire (plus a 0.2% jam chance) means that it’s near impossible to jam this thing.

10. RPD: Many commanders dread the sound of the RPD; they know that it can screw up their mission big time, especially when it’s implemented at close range. In truth, the RPD is an infantry shredder at such ranges due to it’s rapid-fire capacity. Although in a standard fire-base operation, the M60 is far superior due to higher range and damage. The RPD can be a good choice if you want slightly lower weight, but the trade-off is negligible.

11. Carl Gustav M45: The popularly known “Swedish K” is a low-weight alternative to the Tommy Gun. Despite being 5 pounds lighter it still retains fairly high damage and low recoil, which makes this a perfectly viable asset in a low-weight situation. Of course, the fire-rate is lacking (for reference, it’s 70% lower than the Thompson) and the range is average, but on a whole the Gustav is a good weapon for light loadouts.

12. Stoner 63: In a normal combat situation, the Stoner is inferior to others in it’s weight class, with just about average stats akin to that of an assault rifle. So why use it? Well, it’s 8 pounds lighter than the M60 and 6 pounds lighter than the RPD, while retaining the suppression ability of both, which is the important part. So if you need some backup firepower on your stealth mission, don’t hesitate to bring the Stoner along.

13. Silenced M16: Although it’s a fairly average weapon in normal combat (superior to some SMGs but inferior to most other guns) the Silenced M16 holds a very useful niche in that it doesn’t cause overt status upon firing. I have a stealth team all equipped with this weapon and it’s awesome how they can just rack up kills without the enemy noticing. Not too hard to unlock, either.

14. SVD: While inferior to the M14, the Dragunov surpasses the other sniper rifle (the M40) in several aspects, the most important ones being fire rate and ammunition. The reason why the Dragunov trails so far behind the M14 is due to the latter’s superior recoil and ammunition. Recoil is a big factor for rapid semi-automatic fire, and in this the Dragunov loses. The Dragunov does have lower jam chance and slightly higher damage than the M14, but the difference is tiny.

15. M72: Devastating weapon. It can destroy pretty much anything, provide your Ranger is accurate enough with it. The catch is, it’s a single shot weapon. Use it, then dispose it. Fairly useful if you know you’re going to encounter something big and bad (like the ZSU-23 for example) but for softer targets, grenades are a far better deal.

16. M40: I equipped this weapon to my best ranger, imagining it’s awesome offensive use at long range. But the truth is, your trigger happy Rangers will run out of ammo right away. Then they are rendered useless, being equipped only with a pistol as backup. If you are going to run extended firefights without extra ammo, I advise you to avoid this weapon. Obviously the range and damage is some of the highest, but even with your best ranger the maximum amount of kills that can be garnered is 20, and that’s very unlikely.

17. G3: Superior to the M16, but only by a little bit. Use it if you don’t mind the weight, but the 3 extra pounds typically will not be worth it. What you get is a balanced package with the drawbacks of low firing rate and high recoil. I’d advise use of the Stoner and HK33 over the G3.

18. M16: Ah, the good ol’ M16. Light, fast-firing, and possesses decent stats overall, including a very low recoil. Would be superior to most other assault rifles if it didn’t have such an abysmal jam rate (reflected by the lack of cleaning kits in Vietnam). It’s a pretty good killer…until it jams, of course.

19. Sten Mk.2: Here we get into the first of the lightweights; guns that are used only in the event that you need EXTREMELY light loadouts. And the Sten is undoubtedly the best gun in this regard, with a low jam chance and decent range.

20. M79: Not really a gun, since it falls under the equipment section. Very useful weapon, but there’s only one thing: The M16 + M203 pretty much makes this thing completely obsolete, since the M16 has the same function except it’s also an assault rifle. If you don’t have the M16 Grenade Launcher yet, then by all means, equip the M79.

21. M3: A lightweight SMG that is among the better in it’s class, for it retains above-average damage and range, superior to that of the Sten. But the Sten has the lower recoil/jam chance, plus a higher rate of fire, which gives it the win.

22. Xm177: Another lightweight, with half-decent stopping power and range. The semi-auto only makes it a poor weapon against heavily armed soldiers, and even if your men have decent Combat the gun is limited by it’s average stats. It also possesses a high jam chance.

23.AK47: The worst assault rifle based on high weight/low range. Stats are pretty average overall and the famed reliability is actually just about average in this game. There is really no advantage in using this unless this is the first weapon you’ve unlocked and you want better jam rates.

24. MAT-49 Silenced: Just about the worst stats of any gun of the game. It does have advantages over the Musket due to fire rate, but as a killer, it’s sadly deficient. It’ll often take 4 or more hits to completely disable an opponent, so the use of this weapon is discouraged unless absolute stealth is needed. Even so, the Silenced M16 is a far superior weapon is that scenario and far easier to acquire, so there should be no case where this weapon is required.

25. Mac-10: The only “lightweight” that actually has good killing ability, even if only at very close range. I find it fun to use it in firebase missions just for shits and giggles, but don’t expect to be successful at any range but point-blank.
    26. SKS: A battle rifle with OK damage, range, and reliability. It is very obviously inferior compared to the other weapons of it’s class, and cannot even be useful as a “lightweight” due to it’s bulk.

27. M1 Carbine: A “lightweight”, but use of it is discouraged unless you haven’t acquired the Xm177 yet, for the stats are inferior in every way except jam chance.

28. Madsen: Not a bad gun, just not good enough. The stats are thoroughly average. This really limits it’s usefulness, which is why it’s so low on the list. Also, that strangely high weight turns off potential users, who are really far better off with the Swedish K.

29. MAT-49: Superior in every way to the PPS-43 yet inferior in every way to the Sten. Which means it doesn’t have a niche. How sad.

30. PPS-43: At 7 pounds and 50 damage, the PPS-43 is very obsolete. Don’t use it, even the M1 would be a better option. For a gun that is known for reliability, it has a weirdly high jam chance of 1.2%. Which would turn you off if you weren’t already.

31. Pistol: Logically an inferior weapon in most combat scenarios, the Pistol is only accepted for use as a sidearm due to a combination of low damage, range, fire rate, and ammunition. Low weight allows it to be a sidearm, however.

32. Baikal: This is another “shits and giggles” gun, which has no use other than for fun/challenges. It can’t hold a candle to the Model 77E.

33. Mosin-Nagant: A thoroughly useless firearm. Low range, damage, ammunition, and high bulk make it more than useless. For S&G use only.

34. Musket: Despite all the crappy guns in this game, there is only ONE gun that makes you wonder, “Why does this even exist in game?” One gun so obsolete, it was obsolete in a time where the steam-engine was cutting-edge. When people invented tin cans, this thing was already rusting away. This gun was invented at a time when powdered wigs were in fashion.
    It’s a gun SO obsolete it makes the Mosin Nagant look like the Remington MSR. It’s a gun that makes the PPS-43 look like the Kriss Vector. A gun that makes the M1 Carbine look like the Steyr AUG.
    A gun that makes the motherf*cking Baikal look like the Pancor Jackhammer.
    What is this gun, you ask? What gun could be so useless?
    Meet the Musket.
    You thought the Mosin Nagant was unnecessarily heavy? The Musket is 3 pounds heavier.
    You thought the Mosin Nagant fired slowly? On a good day, the Musket takes a whopping 10 seconds to reload.
    You thought the Mosin Nagant sucked because it’s range was only 130 pixels? The Musket probably couldn’t fire that far in real life.
    You thought the Mosin was outdated because it was invented in the 1890s? Well, BITCH PLEASE, because THIS baby was probably manufactured before America was even a country.
    And yes, I tried the Musket Firebase challenged. And I failed miserably. Will update when I succeed.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Lt.Dan Lt.Dan.
    Profile photo of Lance
    Lance

That’s a very nice analytical weapons list of yours. *haammm* You listed the Stoner on positions 6 and 12. You may have wanted to say Stoner LMG?
    As not to go into every detail like you did I will present my top choice for all-around (any mission, any rank, any skill ect) weapon that I like to load out with. I actually found it OP at times.
    The HK33 because it works slightly better for any Ranger in every aspect then any of the mid sized weapons we have.
    Sure there are more heavy hitters or situational special weapons that I then use but generally I prefer to play Recon like an RPG where I aim to do almost any mission and then stick to that missions objective and not go out of the way to hog XP by wiping out the entire VC army in Laos.

Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

Oops, yes. I meant the LMG. Good catch.

I’ve been thinking of changing the list to a more balanced perspective (instead of firepower first) and will do so.

There is going to be a major revamp of this article after I get URB to allow me to edit this thing again, so you might want to check periodically for the latest news.

Profile photo of Lance
    Lance

Actually instead of editing the old list make a new post all together. This is better then to bother urbzz with such a trivial thing.
    You can explain that the previous list emphasizes on firepower and in the new list state why you place the weapon where you did.

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Is there any reason to use anything other than the M16-M203, other than for certain niche roles? I have the thing, but I’ve kept it in the armory so far, haven’t even touched it. The 10 bulk turns me off, it’s not high, but it could sure as hell be lower. Should I use it as my new all-round weapon?

Profile photo of Arise
    Arise
    Participant

Well then you should definitely have to try more weapon on the Recon mission. Sure you will found a lot of good stuff in your armory.

If you ask me, M16M203 have then same weakness just like M16. Low ammo, small clip, too large burst, High Jam chance.

There sure have lots of weapon can give you different ambush way, so enjoy your weapon and test it in the jungle. >o<

Profile photo of Rooster
    Rooster
    Participant

Model 77E and M14 all the way for me. Don’t know how many different missions I’ve went with them, but it always works out.

Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

This list emphasizes more with firepower in mind. A new “balanced” list with weapon descriptions will be posted soon. Stay tuned.

Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

The M16 + M203 is a very good “go-to” for high-heat missions. But then also have someone hump an M60 or another suppressor to keep enemy heads down while you bombard with grenades.

Arise mentioned the low ammo and high jam chance, but honestly, the best thing about the M16/M203 is the M203. The kills will come from that. 8 grenades = at least 8 kills and a lot of assists. And the grenades don’t jam.

Some players prefer short range firepower, and that’s where the Thompson and the RPD come in.

Others of course, prefer long-range firepower and that’s where you can use the BAR, M60, FAL, etc. as your primaries.

For medium range high-heat engagement the M16/M203 is your best bet. Certainly superior in firepower to any other assault rifles.

One awesome advantage I forgot to mention is that you can blow up artillery, machine guns, and light vehicles with this thing WHILE killing VC personnel with the rifle. Pound-for-pound the sheer firepower is superior to anything else in the game.

The only real disadvantage IMO is the heat. Using this in combo with other guns like the M79 will create a lot of heat, but luckily, this gun can take the medicine it dishes out.

The ultimate berserker loadout is this, the M79, FRAG grenades and 2 belts of 40mm HE. Use if Heat is of no consequence, you’ll be lobbing an endless storm of grenades with seemingly no end.

Profile photo of Arise
    Arise
    Participant

When you be forced to contact with enough VC QRF which surround your ranger team, you will know why I say it is a weakness. Sure grenade is a powerful weapon and it don’t jam. But The enemy which you can see and toss the grenade, almost mean they already shoot on your men.

The true in my Recon carrier, every time I fight with regiment scale QRF, the gun shoot say my men, not the grenade. The grenade is only use for pin down the enemy while they are large and group, to make sure you can run not pin down.

In that situation, the 3 CS will be much more useful then 16 rounds of 40mmHE. Long fight will kill you, as your ammo can’t hold enough longer. long burst also mean you will waste the time while you engage with multiple enemy, that is why the combat men usually equip with high damage weapon with short burst.

Save the ammo and kill your enemy as quick as possible. Every time you get shot, you are closer to the team lose result. The exchange of fire is very easy to lose in the Recon, if your weapon can not handle well.

Be advise, you can’t see all the VC around you when they hide under the Tree. But the Ranger can, , ranger will not auto use grenade but their weapon. That is why you need good weapon in the jungle.

Don’t put the hope on supply drop, when you are facing the enemy stronger then you, mostly you can not reach your supply drop. I did have once run out of all weapon ammo and equipment, and be force to use C4 to block the enemy. One of my ranger stay as a target to make sure three others can leave, and he die with VC of course!

About the jam chance, another deadly cause is when you jam and you be force to pin down, then your men suck. You have to click him to order him change side arm and change back in order to re-jam process. Otherwise this ranger don’t fire anymore. How much time do you have, when you require every firing power to survive under heavy attack of VC? That is why I say, high jam chance is a deadly threat.

Well , say too much is useless. I did believe the M16M203 is the most awesome weapon before the third tour in my carrier. But after a specific firebase mission, I realize it is not a good choice for all situation, so now I carry it just for fun and normal mission, for the real tough mission, I will not carry it.

This is my opinion.

Profile photo of Badger
    Badger
    Participant

I don’t like the M16M203 all that much. I prefer having a real gun, and equip hand-grenades for dealing with entrenched/covered/grouped enemies. The M16M203 might be useful for dealing with large waves or tightly packed enemies, but this is ‘recon’ after all.. If you get to the point where firing a bunch of grenades is efficient there was probably a better way to do it. My current setup for almost all missions is –

Squad leader – M60, Flak Jacket, Grenades, Camera, Sandals
    Radio Guy – Stoner, Flak Jacket, Radio, Smoke, Sandals
    Medic – FNFAL, Flak Jacket, IV, Grenades, Sandals
    Demo Guy – FNFAL, Flak Jacket, C4, Grenades, Sandals

This puts everyone in the medium bulk category. The sandals are awesome. This squad is still quite stealthy, and quite capable of holding their own in a firefight. Works for me. I’d love to see some other people’s setups. Also I wonder what people think of the flak jackets. Might be just a waste of a slot, and I still haven’t encountered a situation where they saved a guy, maybe I just didn’t notice.. Could be better to just use that slot for something else.

Profile photo of Arise
    Arise
    Participant

That is amazing @badger, you have full equip with flak jacket and Sandal, guess you just need a green beret to make this thing become perfect. >o< Yes, Flak jacket is useful. It just too heavy. So seldom be used by player.

Nice loadout!

Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

I agree completely. In fact, only one of my guys ever have the M16/M203 at any given time in my entire roster.

In terms of combat DAMAGE though, the M16/M203 is the biggest destroyer out there.

For super-deadly missions like the firebase ones I always equip one M16/M203, just in case there are large hordes or artillery (like the mortars). But my other men always stick with machine guns or heavy rifles.

Profile photo of Badger
    Badger
    Participant

Do you use flak jackets Lt.Dan? I’m thinking it’s probably better to equip something that lessens the chance of having to save against explosives, than providing a save.

Also I doubt that they currently provide any protection against what I’m finding to be the most lethal explosives – traps. None of my guys with flak jackets has ever survived stepping on a mine, or failing to disarm a pressure mine..

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Badger Badger.
    Profile photo of Lt.Dan
    Lt.Dan
    Participant

Do you use flak jackets Lt.Dan? I’m thinking it’s probably better to equip something that lessens the chance of having to save against explosives, than providing a save.

That is good thinking. In any case, I do not use flak jackets unless I know I am facing a ZSU-23. Flak jackets are vital in that situation.

And yeah, mines tend to be insta-kills no matter what. Against artillery like mortars I bomb them before they can bomb me. I use an M79 or M203 on it from a distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar