Lt. Dan's Guide to BDA

Activity Forums Recon Tactics and Strategies Lt. Dan's Guide to BDA

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jack 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Lt.Dan
    Participant

Just a quick and easy guide to all the newer players out there.

Overview:
    Sometimes the HQ wants a report on just how much devastation they caused on one of their bomb runs. Maybe they want to see how accurate they were, or how many casualties were caused. Either way, it’s the job of the Rangers to report back.

This isn’t a particularly challenging mission (although things can and will go wrong) but it requires swiftness, or, lacking that, lots of stealth.

Your objective is to find the bomb crater, hopefully before the VCs do. If you aren’t spotted you’ll receive a killcard.

Steps:
    1. Land and disappear into the forest. If you don’t want to be spotted then don’t hang around.
    2. Call Bird Dog to find the crater. Do this while moving systematically around the AO looking for it manually, since Bird Dog is never very reliable and sometimes you’re better off searching for it on foot.
    3. Upon reaching the crater (you must be able to visibly see the crater in order to complete the mission) then you will hear the distinctive tune to “Surfin Bird” (Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-bab-ba-ba-ba-ba-Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow)
    4. Then you can extract.

Tips:
    -Be fast. If you don’t find the crater before the VCs do it is difficult to remain undetected at the crater since there will be multiple NVA and a truck there surveying the damage.
    -If you are spotted then just find the crater and run. If you are spotted before you find the crater just run and wait until overt changes to covert, and continue.
    -If heat is not a problem just arty, grenade, and airstrike the hell out of the VC.
    -If you are looking for the crater and you see a moving truck, it is headed for the crater. So move in it’s direction and you will find the crater. But be careful not to follow too closely or you will be spotted.
    -If Bird Dog is online then you will eventually get a report that a truck is moving on your AO from a specific direction. In that case the VCs have found the crater and are moving to survey the damage.
    -Use Sitrep at every possible chance, especially when leaving the AO. Easy bonus XP especially if you’ve covered a lot of ground.
    -Men with high spot and stealth are optimal. The crater is rather hard to spot, and requires a clear line of sight to be seen. Even if you’ve pinpointed it’s location to a specific grid, it will require a lot of scouring to find it (unless you get lucky right away, of course).
    -Arm your men lightly for quick searching. Ho Chi Minh sandals are pretty much essential (I use them for every mission anyways) and if you’re not too worried about heat bring along some frags and WP.
    -If you have found the crater before the VCs then don’t stick around. Get outta there right away.
    -There may be some dead VC as a result of the bomb. They are searchable for intel, but this takes time you might not have. Search them at your own peril.

And that’s about it. Not a super dangerous mission but watch out.

Jack
    Participant

this was pretty much my strategy! what happens when bird dog goes offline for 8 hours and you have been spotted and are taking fire?

you ragequit and use that killcard you got that erases a ragequit… lol

Jack
    Participant

here is a burning question is the location of the mission marker on the planning board AT ALL related to the location of the obj? or have i been running the wrong way this whole time

Lt.Dan
    Participant

That sucks but if you have the ragequit eraser I’d save it for when your squad is nearly completely wiped out. Killcards save over tours so try to keep them for when you are high-ranked. Mission difficulty is proportional to your rank.

Lt.Dan
    Participant

Good question but no. The marker on your map is just where your mission is going to be in the big picture. It’s doesn’t actually point out your objective on the AO. 🙁 Life would be so much easier, am I right?

Jack
    Participant

ive been playing around and really getting a feel for the game so ive been dying quite often and reseting. Still not even sure of what half the missions are these guides help a lot though. ill quit sucking and keep a good tour eventually haha

Jack
    Participant

and yes soooooo much easier

Lt.Dan
    Participant

No problem. If you need a guide for anything then just yell. The only one that even I’m a little unsure of is Screen, I can give you a rough idea of how to do it but for now just avoid whenever possible.

Arise
    Participant

Very nice guide, Lt.Dan. >o<

Before the patch 1.5, the BDA is a very dangerous mission and take longer time to complete no matter stealth style or ambush style. On the patch 1.5, Urb change to limit BDA mission only need to find one IP(Impact Point) in the mission, so this one become much easier.

If you still be suck by the lots of asset in your AO, and can’t not find the IP, try to walk around and listen the sound from the VC. Once you hear lots of chatting sound without the noise(VC across the tree will create noise), then this will be very possible target. Of course, the visible stack NVA also is a key to find the IP.

Be sure, mostly NVA truck will not stop very close to the IP. so you can walk around and find IP near the NVA troop. Just move carefully and watch out those men who hide in the tree. If there is a NVA dead body inside the IP, using the mouse to search around also is a possible option, as it will show it is a NVA dead body.

If you know there is a IP but your men can’t spotted, or you know IP is around here just can’t find. Focus on some tree line, and always make sure your facing is right, ranger require to face the area you wish to scan in order to increase the efficiency.

Have a nice day dance with NVA on the ground. XD

Jack
    Participant

@Lt.Dan i just failed a screen a couple patrols ago, i had a wia and didnt want to lose him so i extracted. i had discovered 3 assets in a horizontal line though. the it says find a break in the line, but this is deceiving because the assets(in this case a barbwire fence, defensive position, and either bunker or some sort of hut) were not directly adjacent to each other rather a few meters apart. the spacing was uniform so my guess is there would be a clear hole in the line somewhere.

@arise will the song play everytime you find the IP? i just now failed a BDA i could clearly see it and it was marked on my map but i didnt hear the song. i didnt know if a radio procedure maybe turned song off immediately or something…

Jack
    Participant

@arise i couldnt see IP because nva truck was parked pretty much directly on top of it. i called in arty strike killed nva and truck moved all over it looked all directions couldnt find it 🙁

Jack
    Participant

also @Lt.Dan i might be talking about different mission i think screen is where you have to be in position and answer query about reinforcements?

Arise
    Participant

Hey @jack , keep your eyes on the BDA mission, if possible fins a new BDA mission which tell you find 1 IP in the memo and see how it work. It is possible that the new patch update have some bug inside as now our group have no time to test it due to MNB3 job.

I need all Recon player keep eyes on those issue. If you found this continuous happened, please write a report as detail as possible(If you have a video that will be nice), I will put some time to test it and see how it goes. The IP number could be the possible bug in this mission, and I need some eyes. The same to all un-usual situation also can be report in the Recon 1.5 bug thread.

Keep up great work. XD

(PS. For the Find a Gap Mission, I would suggest you to have a thread on ranger corner to ask it, or ask Lt.Dan to have a guide about it, then we discuss there. We should avoid to discuss other mission around BDA mission place. Thanks >o<)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Arise.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Arise.

Jack
    Participant

understood

Arise
    Participant

I am not sure what will have the song.

I know the Firebase attack and defense both have the song, but I did remember it will tell you to extract before the position become the city of NVA when you discover all IP.

I will check and upload the video later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar