Does Urbz still update this game? MnB2 Master Rework Steam version

Activity Forums Mud and Blood 2 Suggestions Does Urbz still update this game? MnB2 Master Rework Steam version

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cpt.JohnnyZhu 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Cpt.JohnnyZhu
    Participant

Hello there. I’m a Chinese gamer and want to give my two cents on how the creator can improve this game, before tencent discovers this, copy pastes this gem.

I find myself playing MnB2 more often than MnB3, because I prefer the main concept of MnB2 more, and because there’s more content.

I feel like MnB2 (And MnB Recon) never reached its full potential.
    MnB2 has lots of fun RNG elements which keeps each game exciting and fun.
    The fun is easily comparable to that of the popular games “Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon”. I also strongly believe it can reach the same popularity as those games if MnB2 was worked on these particular elements:

– Smoother FPS and gameplay (One session can already take an hour, the laggs are a real menace)
    – Slightly bigger map
    – Killcards and elements from Recon applied to MnB2 (Killcard one free arty, one free Tommy gun, Office notes and how to handle them etc)
    – Expanded career perks and more ribbons
    – Concept from Darkest dungeon; After each game gain points to upgrade your barracks, rations,etc. to upgrade your local HQ, which will affect Morale/gun skill on average. Community can help with more suggestions.
    – Change the core mechanics and six man rule (Hard task, but with the help of the community we can make it happen); Right now the tactics are somewhat limited because of this mechanic. There’s only one way to play; bunkers above pause line and jam 6 men in it.
    – Wespe’s, 222, German AA tank, various vehicles should be destructible by small arms fire and the crew shot out.
    – Germans still being able to shoot in PAUSE
    – I like the HQ building. It rewards players by taking risks. Wish there were more base buildings.
    – German can 2v1 Melee your guys, but you can not do the opposite. *Flashbacks to Saving private ryan Upham scene*
    – Random events in favor of the player (Tank company crosses your battlefield for a minute, for example)
    – Friendly AT guns blowing up your own bunkers
    – Friendly tanks, AT guns, halftrack with AT pod shooting in own group of friendlies because a sdfkz 222 spawned there. This game mechanic is simply not fun. You cannot even do hold fire on vehicles. (You can move AT guns to avoid them shooting, but there is no solution for the other two)

This game has so much potential. I hope Urbz can see it too.

Snarks
    Participant

Urb has been kinda busy lately, but he’s commented a bit in the past about things going forward.

So first off, MnBR has reached the limits of flash. There isn’t much more that Urb can do on Recon. However, Urb has expressed interest on a “Recon 2” project set in the 1980s with the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, with the player taking the role of a PMC group. Recon 2 will take advantage of LUA, which will offer much improved performance.

It is likely that work on Recon 2 would result in a new engine for the MnB series as a whole. If all goes well, this could mean a porting of the series onto LUA, which would resolve a lot of the performance issues in the older games.

Urb has also expressed interest on packaging the MnB series onto Steam, but no further developments have been made on this front. It’s not clear if this means a flash upload or a remastered version using LUA.

Currently, Urb has been working on Statecraft, a side project focused on political simulation in a medieval setting. It is likely that Urb will want to wrap that project up to some degree before acting on other plans, which might mean a few more months before we get any news on his next project/decision.

And of course, all of this is subject to change, but posts like these will come in handy later down the line for when Urb’s reviewing his notes!

Cpt.JohnnyZhu
    Participant

I know Urbz has a life behind this too. And above all he does it for free and as a hobby.
    I only want to help Urb.
    I hope he can find a suitable platform to work on for all his future projects and endeavors.
    But Urb should really focus on one game before finishing another after he knows what engine to work with. I would gladly pay for a full reworked MnB2 on steam. This way he can get some income from one game before moving on to the other. Thank you Snarks for your post, and I’ve seen your game on Steam before aswell,(Skirmish Line I believe) but sadly haven’t tried it yet.

Cpt.JohnnyZhu
    Participant

Suggestions:
    Let Scouts retain their M1 Carbines
    Fix the teleporting bunker bug.
    Crates which give you a free weapon/grenades/structures
    Logs and trees should give protection
    Grenades do too much damage even when landing far away from your men.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cpt.JohnnyZhu.

Arise
    Participant

Change the core mechanics and six man rule (Hard task, but with the help of the community we can make it happen); Right now the tactics are somewhat limited because of this mechanic. There’s only one way to play; bunkers above pause line and jam 6 men in it.

The most important thing about MNB2 part, is six man rule will not be change!

Why we need six man rule? That mean player can’t use numbers to over power the field, it is a key core set about MNB2 game play, most of balance and tactic control is base on this setting, so it will not be change even we can get MNB2 update in future.

Did a really play around the pause line? No not really. That is for 200+ waves player to play for. But I never wish to find game setting hole and try to break to limit, so I never play like that, I still can get 75+ to 175+ waves, so that is about how you play MNB2, not how MNB2 limit you play. MNB2 never put the stress on you, just don’t die. XD

Smoother FPS and gameplay (One session can already take an hour, the laggs are a real menace)

Yeah, maybe Urb can find the way, but I think it is quiet ok for most of game play.

Slightly bigger map

For eyes maybe, but all interaction size will not been changed. The field change will rquire new balance setting for MNB2, and it is a job never worth to do.

Killcards and elements from Recon applied to MnB2 (Killcard one free arty, one free Tommy gun, Office notes and how to handle them etc)
    – Expanded career perks and more ribbons
    – Concept from Darkest dungeon; After each game gain points to upgrade your barracks, rations,etc. to upgrade your local HQ, which will affect Morale/gun skill on average. Community can help with more suggestions.

All you say is in the ribbon system we currently had, maybe it is not fancy like Recon, but it is good as MNB2 is a classical old game. Maybe we will get more ribbon in future. XD

Wespe’s, 222, German AA tank, various vehicles should be destructible by small arms fire and the crew shot out.

Unit balance, I don’t think it will happened, as those unit tend to let you use AT weapon to deal with. shoot a guy out from Wespe with rifle may take a hundreds year, you already been blow up to sky as an old angel. XD

Germans still being able to shoot in PAUSE

Try to pause when no threat around. XD Mostly people don’t fight pause, but yeah we all know it can be improved. but like Recon pause… ( Urb World always give something you have to deal with. >o<)

I like the HQ building. It rewards players by taking risks. Wish there were more base buildings.

Yeah, I wish too. Must need lots of test to make sure it good, but worth it like more unit or some base element for interaction.

German can 2v1 Melee your guys, but you can not do the opposite. *Flashbacks to Saving private ryan Upham scene*
    – Random events in favor of the player (Tank company crosses your battlefield for a minute, for example)
    – Friendly AT guns blowing up your own bunkers
    – Friendly tanks, AT guns, halftrack with AT pod shooting in own group of friendlies because a sdfkz 222 spawned there. This game mechanic is simply not fun. You cannot even do hold fire on vehicles. (You can move AT guns to avoid them shooting, but there is no solution for the other two)

Again like six man rule, it will stay. Not fun? Maybe but most player don’t think so. Friendly fire is one of best element for MNB2. There are tend to be friendly fire everywhere. Grenade, Arty, Flamethrower, Mine….. so many. and thanks god Urb does not add friendly fire about bullets. lol

What Urb build is what will happened in real battlefield, in tense combat, FF is the end for anyone, but mostly you don’t have choice. We play the game to remind, they fight there and lose their life for something.

What you have to do is try to prevent it, make wise decision and make it quick, also may the god stay with you, because this is URB game. Unfair! Random! Brutality! You need to check the article about it.

Thanks for the suggestion still, I think Urb will like these reply.

Have fun around and keep up good work. >o<

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  Arise.

Bersimon
    Keymaster

Smoother FPS and gameplay (One session can already take an hour, the laggs are a real menace)

Will be taken care of when MnB is remade with a new engine.

Slightly bigger map

You can increase the zoom level with CTRL and plus sign or mouse wheel up. This will make things easier to see, although it will require more graphics processing.
    Changing the actual size of the field will impact gameplay balance and mechanics quite a bit, so it’s nothing to be done lightly.

Killcards and elements from Recon applied to MnB2 (Killcard one free arty, one free Tommy gun, Office notes and how to handle them etc)

In MnB2 you have TPs for getting your support, and unlockable deployment options for getting you some advantageous settings for progressing in the game.

Expanded career perks and more ribbons

Adding more career perks could be done, but balancing that would likely involve taking away features such as Sarge and Halftrack until you reach a certain rank. 😉

Concept from Darkest dungeon; After each game gain points to upgrade your barracks, rations,etc. to upgrade your local HQ, which will affect Morale/gun skill on average. Community can help with more suggestions.

But then we’d have to actually have a screen with your local HQ outside the game. Adds another layer to the game, but at great cost to re-conceptualize a lot of stuff.

Change the core mechanics and six man rule (Hard task, but with the help of the community we can make it happen); Right now the tactics are somewhat limited because of this mechanic. There’s only one way to play; bunkers above pause line and jam 6 men in it.

I think the reverse might be better – implement better ways in which the game can attempt to break your “safe bunker above the middle field” tactic to make it prone to URB just as any other tactic.

Wespe’s, 222, German AA tank, various vehicles should be destructible by small arms fire and the crew shot out.

That’s very hard to do in the field. I’m more for having a couple of desperate alternatives – allow any unit to use sock bomb, but with lower success than paratroopers, and implement some kind of fire and smoke mechanic where a large level of these can force the crew to spill out. Open unoccupied tanks might be occupied by hiring crewmen for them within a certain time before the tank is considered as debris by the game and is cleared away (might be unbalanced, but who knows).

Germans still being able to shoot in PAUSE

Will be fixed automatically by remaking the game in a new engine that functions differently.

I like the HQ building. It rewards players by taking risks. Wish there were more base buildings.

It’s fun, yes. Depending on the suggestion, it might fit into the context of the game.

German can 2v1 Melee your guys, but you can not do the opposite. *Flashbacks to Saving private ryan Upham scene*

Requires a back-porting of MnB3’s improved mechanics in this area.

Random events in favor of the player (Tank company crosses your battlefield for a minute, for example)

We get crates with stuff, including units (!) inside. Perhaps add a crate with parts for a jeep or other small vehicle, and you’ll have to get a mechanic into the field to assemble it if you want to use it.

Friendly AT guns blowing up your own bunkers

That’s just what happens when you position things badly or need to rely on a midfield bunker strategy. 😀

Friendly tanks, AT guns, halftrack with AT pod shooting in own group of friendlies because a sdfkz 222 spawned there. This game mechanic is simply not fun. You cannot even do hold fire on vehicles. (You can move AT guns to avoid them shooting, but there is no solution for the other two)

I’m for enabling hold fire orders for vehicles. Perhaps also backport MnB3’s mechanic of making moving units automatically hold fire. And not allowing ATs and other explosive units to shoot themselves or behind themselves when they are pointing in another direction.
    So, if you see an imminent danger of friendly fire, your best hope is to shout orders like crazy (hold fire) to everyone until the danger passes. The danger should always be there, though.
    Another thought for added URB – if you use too many orders in a short time, a message pops up giving your units a penalty, because they are confused by all the shouting and cannot make out the orders, who is to do what, etc. The effect might be to make all your units stop their current movement, fire sequence or order – hold fire, concentrate fire, etc. – and no orders can be given again and units will not use abilities (grenades, scout waves, clear flankers) for 30s while the confusion settles down and order is restablished; having an officer in the field – as opposed to just NCOs – improves the limit of consecutive orders / penalty cooldown by the level of his rank.

Let Scouts retain their M1 Carbines

Would be good, too.

Fix the teleporting bunker bug.

Or make it an ability you have to pay for. 😀

Crates which give you a free weapon/grenades/structures

Nice if said freebie would be recorded, such that the next time you call for it in the menu, it’s free. This allows you to “use” it when and how you want it.

Logs and trees should give protection

Trees give you cover from being seen, but perhaps they should have a small chance to save you from a shot. Logs, I’m not sure that they do anything currently.

Grenades do too much damage even when landing far away from your men.

Them being frags, I think it’s fair, so long as the damage is very randomized.

Lance

Yes!! , others replied to a good post before I do. Been way to long since that happened here.
    I am with most of my fellow maties answers and ideas here so I will simply give that that differs.

about – Slightly bigger map (+) – Change the core mechanics and six man rule. . .
    This will/ could simply be fixed by making the game stick more to it’s core concept.
    Small Squad Tactics!
    Through certain reconfigurations in game (I am not entitled to say to much about this right now) there will automatically be more more “free” space to “play” with as well as more “valuable” overall units.

– more base buildings
    I am not for any “base” type buildings here at all. Not on field or anywhere. This is not Recon.
    We are commanding a few poor GIs that where given the suicide order to hold of an enemy charge for as long as possible and not to win some sort of field champaign.
    I still feel that the Field HQ be a sucker implementation since is rarely gives you any benefit at all.
    Back then I had an alternative idea for such “buildings”.
    Since we are ON the front line such a structure could be an upgrade to either a Bunker or the Pillbox.
    Best be the Pillbox. Make it similar to how the HT gets upgraded. Simply ad a HQ to it.
    There could be more such upgrades like a field Medic-station or an Mechanic-Dump that automatically fixes nearby vehicles.

Great for MnB3 but it makes no sense for MnB2.

-Logs and trees should give protection
    Yes they should. At first I though that sand pits would act like a trench and logs as walls.
    Most first timers assume that.

-Grenades do too much damage even when landing far away from your men.
    Not true at all. Grenades can not even kill you at 100 hp unless they gib you since their damage goes from 0 – 99. Yes 0. Fun fact. You can take 0 damage but still bleed.
    However their damage range is a bit to far for such a small game field.

In MnB3 and Recon the grenade damage is more like you said. Bit OP. Kills everyone that is to close by most of the time. Damage is more like 30 – 300 or so if I recall correctly.

Last but not least. – Germans still being able to shoot in PAUSE
    Easy. Do not pause. War has no pause. I dont’t pause at all. See my you-tube plays. :mrgreen:

That was fun. Talk about game stuff is what really made the forums great.

Cpt.JohnnyZhu
    Participant

However their damage range is a bit to far for such a small game field.

I’m glad you agree with me on this. I feel like grenades are perfectly done in Skirmish Line. in Mnb2, they can be thrown over the entire map, which is already too small to begin with imo. I’m not talking about scrolling or zooming to get a bigger map, I meant actually increasing the size of the map which will allow more strategies and depth.

I really want (and think these games will benefit from) a Binding of isaac element in Mnb2/Skirmish line ; Where you unlock more types of weapons/events/crates/ you think it, you name it. You have the CHANCE of seeing them in your game playthroughs. Like in STWALT, you unlock things which can from now on spawn in future games.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar