Diference between pistols and medical items BULKS / Effectiveness?

Activity Forums Recon Diference between pistols and medical items BULKS / Effectiveness?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lance 1 year ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Wolfgang
    Participant

I’ve always thought that the IV bag was better due to it having a higher bulk, but morphine has always worked better for me.
    As for the pistols I honestly don’t know, aside from one of my soldiers 2 shooting some VCs with a 1911 after losing his m16 while interrogating. But maybe it was just luck, I don’t think anybody has used them enough to know.

Polarfuchs
    Participant

Good questions! And I have some answers for you!

First thing, medical items actually working is based on a percentage increased by medical skill (the base is 35, increased by 10 for each point, with a max of 85) and the difference between Morphine, Dressings, and IVs is the amount of time they stabilize a critical soldier. I forget the specifics but it goes from least to greatest amount of time: Morphine -> Dressing -> IV

As for the pistols they all have the same stats, though it’s usually a good idea to give the colt commander to your squad leader, so you know who’s who.

Hope this helped you out,
    Polarfuchs

Rhi4999
    Participant

Well, I personally prefer packing both morphine and Field dressing, I dont think it matters it gets the job done. As for pistols, I wouldn’t expect too much out of them due to there ammo capacity and like said before they all have the same stats.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Rhi4999.

Wolfgang
    Participant

Interesting thing that the IVs are the worst, thats one thing I’ve never found worthwhile in Recon too, getting somebody especialized in Medic, maybe that due to the fact that I can get around the UI of this game very quick from playing for a long time, but I haven’t had anybody die from lack of medicine supplies and I only bring 3 morhpine every mission. And if theres two wounded well, save the sergeant!

Arise
    Participant

Correct few things:

* @polarfuchs the base is 30%, and you also have to consider about team effect, which can give 15% to the max. so Basic + Team effect + Max Medic Skill = 95% ! But this doesn’t mean your chance to Stabilize, you also have to add the medic item chance. Well, but I don’t really know the equation for sure. XD

*The medic stabilize time: IV > FD > MP for sure, so does chance to success.

*IV is a good medical supply for ranger, consider about the better chance and longer stabilize time. However, it bulks is 3, so might not suit for some situation maybe.

*MP have a two special effect, one is if you fail it will not cost it’s using time, but per three time you use have 20% of chance killing the ranger instantly.

*If you don’t move the stabilize soldier, he can hang much longer then carrying him.

So, if you feel the MP is better then IV, or IV is useless, that is because you haven’t experience the trouble like ” you can’t call Huey before night fall ” or something. When situation goes bad and you have to wait for long time before extract, stabilize time become vital.

Pistol??? Uh It doesn’t even matter, don’t let your ranger act like pilot. lol

Wolfgang
    Participant

Ok so I got confused, I thought IV had the worst stabilize chance, I’ve never killed any of my guys with MP though, and I’ve been using it for a long time.

Jordan
    Participant

To my knowledge all pistols have the exact same stats. Funny because the browning would be a 13-15 round 9mm and the colt commander would be 9-12 rounds and the colt 45. should be 8. That’s not the case though. As for medical my understanding is this. Morphine and Bandages weigh the same but morphine has a chance to kill your man. The IV has 2 more bulk but has a 35% chance to stabilize the Bandages have 20% and the Morphine is 10% with a chance to kill. If i carry medical which usually i don’t as i do not stand for losing my men but if i do i bring IV and if i absolutely have to make say my radio man weigh the same as my machine gunners i give him the bandages. You can see here i am on a Hunter Killer to kill 17 enemy so to keep the weight the same all around i have three machine gunners with the same kit and my radio operator (My lowest ranked man)
    as using the radio gives them tons of points and ranks them up fast) In order to keep them all moving at the same pace. All of that takes into account team effect as well which is +5% per ranger within 200 pixels so that can go up very quickly as Arise has said. My guys when grouped with how high my stahl and spot is can spot enemies with a clear los from about 1000 pixels. Pretty amazing once you rank guys up and keep them close just not too close. 🙂 IMO IV is the best chance to keep your guys alive.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Jordan.

Wolfgang
    Participant

I’ve laways used bulk to my tactical advantage, making my spotter have really low bulk so he’s always in the front has saved me a bunch. Though i supose being patient would also work.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Wolfgang.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Wolfgang.

Jordan
    Participant

I don’t find having the highest spot man at the front being the best tactic. IF you are moving his skill set is basically 0. When you think something is close or you are searching for something specific like a bomb crater or POW cage you want to try and move your men in a fashion that lets them cover each other so moving in a line or wedge through an area moving one guy at a time. Also the exact direction they are looking is important too, as well as clear line of sight. So basically i try to move through tree lines and when i get to an opening point my men in all open directions for about a minute and turn them to look at those open directions and if nothing pops up or is spotted then i move. Halts every 5-10 steps help and waiting for 20 seconds to 1 minute after the halt to let your guys search. Just moving in a line with your best spotter in front is not going to necessarily let you spot anything before you either pass them or walk right over them. You will notice with high spot and stealth the enemy can basically walk over your men and not see them. Remember LOS works both ways so if you just dart 4 men into an opening the enemy is likely to catch that movement and spot you. If you bound across the opening so one man in a tree line one man in the back of that treeline to cover your 6 one guy goes across takes a cover position then the second man goes and covers the other direction then the last man who is covering the 6 moves to the front and then the 4th man covering the treeline crossing that you just bounded across would move and regroup with the squad. Wait if all is good then move along. I find keeping your combat man up front and the best spotter in the second then my RTO then a cover man in the rear. When you halt turn the last man around! to face the the way you just came. You have no idea how many times i have caught NVA behind me especially if you do not use the HCM Sandals. If you absolutely have to move a long distance do it in a line and keep your men about m16 length apart to keep them within 200pixels of each other to get team bonus but not so close that they will get hammered by one grenade or MG. That way while they are moving you have a huge bonus to the spotter as the other guys are boosting that skill and they have a better chance to see something that otherwise they may not. This is a roll of the dice though at any given time. Doing this i suggest only moving as far as you have to so behind a tree line or something to break line of sight then setting up an all round defense until you are back to covert or know exactly where the enemy is.

Commander Deltor
    Participant

I’m still confused on the IV versus Morphine versus Field Dressing effectiveness. I get that IV, THEORETICALLY, has the best chance to stabilize a soldier, but I’ve been in a situation where I’ve used ALL of my medic’s supplies (He had all three of these), and the only one that worked was morphine. It just doesn’t make sense to me why the IV never seems to work if it is supposed to have the highest chance of working

Lance

TIP: Use the Buddy Bonus. = Always have as many Rangers as possible close together to increase any Skill Roll by 5 per ranger that is near and on-feet.

For me Morphine is the easiest solution to stabilize a soldier with a base chance (no med skill) over all other medical items.
    Only a single time did it kill a soldier in my games despite the rather high chance that got posted a while back.
    Drawback it that the duration is rather short and without an LZ near by plus good chances to extract quickly the downed Ranger usually dies anyways or worse.
    Positive is that you have 4 items in one slot for just a single bulk making this item very valuable since you must put something into every slot anyways.

The IV Med Kit does have great advantages for only 2 bulk more if you have a Ranger with Medical Skill upgrade. Without Med Skill the chance to work per try is lower.
    Say a 3 Medic Skill will almost surely give a positive result that last for a very long time.
    However, again, such a high Med Skill is rare since other skills are way more important like
    Spot so that you see stuff first and Combat so that you kill stuff first.;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar